head removal ? find TDC first? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
do I need to set to TDC before removing the head? and how do I find it? it wasn't clear where the view port is or with the valve cover off is it obvious? I'm admittedly an idiot but no mechanic around here would touch it.

Not sure it matters with a 3fe.

Positioning #1 piston at TDC on the firing stroke should not be necessary but I would do it anyway. The factory service manual should spell out the job you are doing step by step in very easy to understand terms.

Don't believe it makes a difference. If you're replacing the dizzy then you'd need to find TDC to reinstall it, but that's all I can think of.

the FSM didn't say anything about the power steering pump bolted to the head. is the brake pump bolted to it also? there is a bolt there that is just not reachable with any normal tools. the universal with 14mm on won't fit either.
Any one know how to get this damn head off? The bolts are out and it moves slightly.

it was that one bolt to the brake pump that the FSM didn't tell me about and there is no room to get a socket wrench in there. I used a 3/8 breaker with a 9/16 with a lot of grip points on the socket and it took at least an hour turning 1/32 of a turn per crank. Then the head came off. That SOB is heavy!!!! Whoever had done the head last didn't have the proper gasket so the coolant was forcing its way under at several locations. #2 cylinder had the steam clean and #5 had some similar. Regarding these gasket ports for coolant, even the new gasket has like 3/16 holes for a big port. What gives with that? Should I cut them on the new gasket out to match the ports?
I got it from modern engine:
Engine Cylinder Head Gasket ITM 09-41545 fits 88-92 Toyota Land Cruiser 4.0L-L6

anyone know how to get the head back on with the engine onboard? got any tricks for lifting it and doing the careful placement so as not to trash the gasket? I'm on a slope and I don't think an engine hoist will work.

Cut some 2x4 and deck screw them together. Lift front end up and remove tires. Lower front end and rest control arms on top of the wood. Then get another person to help you lift it into place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom