Head gasket thickness. Help needed! (1 Viewer)

Hi, everyone. I need help!

My head gasket failed and I am in the middle of a light-rebuild of my engine. Block had some pitting in the area of the HG failure so I had my machine shop surface the deck as well.
The head was milled 0.008" and the block 0.009". All together I have lost 0.017" or 0.43 mm.

I am wondering if I can still use OEM HG, or I need to go with Cometic HG.

Also, when I measured my used HG it was on average 0.043", but then I kept reading that compressed head gasket thickness is 0.050" on our engines. I am wondering if I made a mistake when measurements were taken.

Thank you for everyone's input.

Would have rather had a micrometer, but this is what I have on hand.

20200908_120208[1].jpg

inkpot

SILVER Star
I had about that much milled off my head hwile I had it out due to a vave problem. I reinstalled it with a stock gasket and it works just fine. the 1fzfe is a non interference motor, so unlikely you will have a valve clearance issue, and you will not realize much performance difference for the slight increase in compression. I have run about 50,000 miles since working the head, with an overboosted Supercharger, and it still runs fine at 230,000.

I had about that much milled off my head hwile I had it out due to a vave problem. I reinstalled it with a stock gasket and it works just fine. the 1fzfe is a non interference motor, so unlikely you will have a valve clearance issue, and you will not realize much performance difference for the slight increase in compression. I have run about 50,000 miles since working the head, with an overboosted Supercharger, and it still runs fine at 230,000.
Awesome feedback! Thank you.

A little bit of an update. Just got off the phone with Cometic. They have OEM compressed gasket thickness at 0.040" in their system. And , currently there is about a 4 week lead time on all of their gaskets.

jjdeneen918

SILVER Star
I went Cometic last year. With their custom sizes, I brought it back to stock tolerances after shaving about 0.006” off the head.

I’ve been running great with a turbo-installed engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom