Head Gasket Failure - Why K Seal worked FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Warning: this will trigger most mechanics. Using head gasket fix is risky and can cause other issues.

I caught my head gasket problem very quickly and a bottle of K Seal has fixed the issue for now.

Here is why it worked and when a gasket sealer is not a bad idea to try:

I had a very small radiator leak I lived with for a while. All of the sudden it got much worse. So I changed the radiator, water pump, fan clutch, and hoses. At 240k miles it needed it. After the fix I was having the coolant overflow spill over. Thought it was a burping issue. Didn’t fix the problem so I did a combustion leak test with the indicator fluid. It turned green… checked the cylinders with a scope and 1 & 2 were steam cleaned. Head gasket failure…I was prepared to pull the head but wanted to try a sealer because I seemed to have caught it really quickly. It hadn’t even begun to overheat yet. Just ran a little hotter. I didn’t worry about the radiator clogging because it was brand new. Clean passages. So I added the sealer to the coolant and kept the heat off to avoid it touching the heater core. Will do a coolant flush and oil change after a couple more days of driving.

Passes combustion leak test. It is cooling great and no coolant overflow issues. Looks like my cooling woes are gone.

This will only work if you catch it super early. I feel like if it is to the point where you see milkshake in the oil or you can’t drive it without it overheating forget trying the sealer. You have to catch the problem very quickly and before you warp the head with it overheating.

Warning: this will trigger most mechanics. Using head gasket fix is risky and can cause other issues.

I caught my head gasket problem very quickly and a bottle of K Seal has fixed the issue for now.

Here is why it worked and when a gasket sealer is not a bad idea to try:

I had a very small radiator leak I lived with for a while. All of the sudden it got much worse. So I changed the radiator, water pump, fan clutch, and hoses. At 240k miles it needed it. After the fix I was having the coolant overflow spill over. Thought it was a burping issue. Didn’t fix the problem so I did a combustion leak test with the indicator fluid. It turned green… checked the cylinders with a scope and 1 & 2 were steam cleaned. Head gasket failure…I was prepared to pull the head but wanted to try a sealer because I seemed to have caught it really quickly. It hadn’t even begun to overheat yet. Just ran a little hotter. I didn’t worry about the radiator clogging because it was brand new. Clean passages. So I added the sealer to the coolant and kept the heat off to avoid it touching the heater core. Will do a coolant flush and oil change after a couple more days of driving.

Passes combustion leak test. It is cooling great and no coolant overflow issues. Looks like my cooling woes are gone.

This will only work if you catch it super early. I feel like if it is to the point where you see milkshake in the oil or you can’t drive it without it overheating forget trying the sealer. You have to catch the problem very quickly and before you warp the head with it overheating.
In early 2000 GM used a sealer in factory engines with aluminum heads. Factory service manual called for it after a head gasket or intake manifold replacement . Even has a AC-Delco part number. Don't know if that is still the case.

Thanks for posting. Please update this thread over time. I have heard of those products working for a year or two (which is cool), but they don't seem to work for many years, from what I understand. It can buy you time until you get in there for another reason.

Thanks for posting. Please update this thread over time. I have heard of those products working for a year or two (which is cool), but they don't seem to work for many years, from what I understand. It can buy you time until you get in there for another reason.
Yeah for sure. I’m daily driving my 60 and I’m planning on a desmog and head pull to the machine shop when I get another vehicle. Burning oil and I bet it is mostly valve seals. I’ll post pics when I pull the head to show what the sealer did and the health of the gasket overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom