HDJ81 (that seem to have fj80 VIN) register in California (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks, I am currently up in alaska and picked up a 91 HDJ81 (JDM import) that is registered in Alaska.

I will most likely to move back to california in the future and seeking how to legally register my hdj81 in california.

My question is, Will CA dmv let me register my hdj81 as a diesel?

Right now, it's titled in Alaska as a regular fj80 (JT3FJ80xxxxxxxx) - I guess the previous owner some how registered it as fj80 since it was never offered as a diesel.

I wonder if there's a way to update the system in alaska to recognize my 80 as a diesel?
I am trying to avoid future headaches of smog checks (I know my 4.2 TD will not pass smog over there... :oops:)

I would very much appreciate any thoughts or experience of registering out of state titled diesel import in california.

What the previous owner did is called VIN fraud and is highly illegal by the sound of it.

That being said, an HDJ81 that is in the system as a US-spec Cruiser is possibly the easiest way to get an HDJ81 into California. You'll just have "know a guy" to smog it for you... If the DMV finds out what's up though, your Land Cruiser might turn into a cube. Going through AAA to register it is your best bet for that.

Technically, the CA DMV will not allow you to register an imported diesel. But that has not shown to be entirely true. You'll need luck and finesse, and more luck.

I hope to get an HJ60 soon and register here in Commiefornia. Hopefully the DMV will let me.

Its registered as a gas FJ80 but its a diesel? No way can u bring that near California. Take the time to get the title corrected and proper fuel. Any out of state truck needs a VIN verification and u will fail before you can even think about smog. And no way u can ever get a smog on a diesel. They have cracked down on legally imported diesel defenders lately.

Its registered as a gas FJ80 but its a diesel? No way can u bring that near California. Take the time to get the title corrected and proper fuel. Any out of state truck needs a VIN verification and u will fail before you can even think about smog. And no way u can ever get a smog on a diesel. They have cracked down on legally imported diesel defenders lately.

Thank you for the input. I might have to do some more digging but it is JDM cruiser and I believe it does not have a VIN that can be registered into the DMV.
(I mean I have the chassis number but the digits and format is different)

Thank you for the input. I might have to do some more digging but it is JDM cruiser and I believe it does not have a VIN that can be registered into the DMV.
(I mean I have the chassis number but the digits and format is different)
I'd be really interested if you had any updates on this, I recently bought JDM HDJ81 that was registered in Montana for some six years and I'm having trouble getting it registered in CA.

You are better off keeping it registered in Alaska, even with all the i's dotted and t's crossed it is near impossible to get CA registration now a days.

Basically all loopholes have been closed, there'd a pretty lengthy thread discussing CA import registration on here and the general consensus is that right now the chances of slipping through are extremely low if not impossible. Best to look for other means of registration.

Personally would never purchase something with VIN for another vehicle. Just the fact it's RHD would be a red flag if you get pulled over and check the registration. I'm sure the VIN is for a LHD. Might convince a LEO you did a diesel conversion in a state that doesn't require emissions but that you converted it to RHD I doubt. There has to be paper work back to being legally imported thru customs. Otherwise good chance will end up as mentioned earlier, a cube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom