HDJ-81 rear axle. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tigerstripe40

SILVER Star
Threads
I got a JDM HDJ-81 rear axle from a 1991 Land Cruiser. This is somewhat unique in that it can run 15" rims vs the NAS FZJ-80 FF running a 16" rim.
I'd like to rebuild it and put it in my FJ40 (maybe narrow it).

When I got it, the axle was missing the caliper adapters and the calipers, and the backing plates were mangled. I could probably straighten them out, but they are also pretty rusty.
I am trying to find a set of backing plates, but I do not have a VIN and having the usual suspects (Cruiser Outfitters) check their resources, the backing plates are unusual and no longer made.

I am wondering if I could use the NAS 80 series FF backing plates (I am planning on running 17" rims either way).
Or if this housing is too different and it's Scrap.

Housing is generally the same.

NAS backing plates fit but you will also need to use the larger NAS rotors and will not be able to run 15" wheels.

Many jdm owners swap the entire disc brake setup off a later us spec 80 onto the jdm because the jdm parts are hard to get.
That said, US backing plates are NLA and must be found used.

FYI
I just swapped new HZJ79 backing plates into my 1991 HZJ75. From what i see on Toydiy.com these plates 47043-60090 and or 47043-60130 should fit as they reside in page 47-06 parts diagram. I know they show up as NLA for the *80*s" but no harm in trying.
If ever I swap my 91 HDJ81 to 16" rear discs I will confirm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom