has anyone been to the Flathead River? (1 Viewer)

Hi,
I'm just looking around for info if anyone has explored the Flathead River area of BC. (so I'm posting this all over the place)
It's located in the South East corner of BC.
Any idea of trail accessibilty? types of trails, terrain? how many days of exploring by truck would there be there?
Thanks!

jfc

There was a joint RMLCA/CC run years back in the kootney's, not sure excatly where they went, Ratpuke and Deny would know.

I'll have to look at a map but that sounds more likely to be closer to one of the DCTTUS runs back in the day.

DCTTUS?
If you could have a look that would be great. I know the area has magnificent views and alpine scenery. There has been mining and forestry up there so there should be trails and roads but I would have to commit to a 1 1/2 days drive and be rewarded with gates and no access.
The area is currently undergoing some changes as some parties are trying to get the whole place closed off to all motorized vehicles and industry so access in there might not last for long.

Jerome of the RMLCA has a place in Warder, just west of Fernie, and invited us down to his place last summer. We did a lot of trails (mostly logging roads) and had no restrictions. These were on the east side of the river and the north side of the #3 highway. Sort of north of Jaffre and behind the Ferni ski area..

He has scouted a lot of the east side of the river and south side of the highway but last year he figured there would be too much snow up at higher elevations to make for good wheeling. He also mentioned that that area was going to be closed to motor vehicles sooner rather than later.

He will probably offer to lead a weekend trip again this year. It was at the end of June last year and may be the same this year. Keep an eye on the RMLCA e-mail list.

We did base camp at his spread (1/4 section of woodland) and did day trips.

Thanks for the info, how many days exploration do you think there is in those parts? what types of trails? mostly gravel FSRs or tighter, harder trails?
If you have Jerome's contact info and he has no problems with me contacting him can you PM me?
thanks

Thanks for the info, how many days exploration do you think there is in those parts? what types of trails? mostly gravel FSRs or tighter, harder trails?
If you have Jerome's contact info and he has no problems with me contacting him can you PM me?
thanks
I might be able to get that out tonight, but the niece has a dance recital I need to be at. If not, tomorrow sometime. In the meantime you could try the RMLCA archive. Search for Kookanoosa or Warder.

There are lots of logging and mining roads. Some new and quite drivable except for the odd washout, and some old and overgrown.

The is an old trail that goes from Jaffre to Ferni on the south side of #3 highway. We may try that next year. I'm sure you could spend weeks down there and never cross the same patch of trail twice.

That's sounding like the type of trip I like. I'm looking at a 2 week trip, like we did in the Chilko region and Alexander MacKenzie. If I can get the info together in time might do it this year, if not then for sure next year. It would be a small group, likely 10 trucks tops (realistically 5-7). I just want to make sure it will be entertaining enough and challenging enough to keep the group interested.
Thank you for your help.

Fantom - When were you thinking of going? I have a few long weekends in July and I make sure to get the h@!! out of town. I keep my Four Wheel Camper on my truck all summer just for that reason.

I've been meaning to check out that area for a while now. Its just 2.5 hrs from me and I've been neglectful in getting down there. I know there are a few remote hotsprings hiding there, I would love to find a few.

I have the Backroads book's http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=0_67 which I find quite good. I'm sure you guys are familiar with them anyways.

I've got to talk it over with the club, every year we do a 2 week excursion into parts unknown and we were toying with the idea of heading back into the Chilcotin again this year but if I can get enough info about the Flathead region we might head there.
We're planning on the first 2 weeks in July, by then the weather should be good and the higher elevations shouldn't have too much snow.
Do you know anything about that region? types of trails? Is there enough trails to spend a week, week and a half there?

I honestly haven't spent any appreciable time in there. I cannot say how good the trails are (if there is even enough to keep ones appetite wet!!). I know its a beautiful area and as you go further east, you run into the backside of Waterton National Park. I've searched maps to try to see if one can cross over the Waterton Range into Alberta but it appears you can't. I would like to be informed otherwise though!!

The short time I was in there, I just drove on FSR's, as I don't want to do too much with my truck and FWC camper. I could probably push the unit into harder trails but I find I get remote enough with it now.

I might head down there in June on a weekend just to scout out the area, without the camper. I'll keep this thread updated with anything I find out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom