Hard to steer w/ heavy acceleration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sin how many miles do u have on ur 100?

SINCITY100 said:
There was a direct correlation between the old tensioner and my steering issue..As soon as I drove my 100 after installing the new unit, I noticed a huge improvement in the "assist" from the pump under the same driving condition (I.E. taking off from a low speed with the wheels turned hard and gunning the engine)... Before the pulley change it was very unnerving to punch the gas when coming through a sharp corner or quickly pulling out into traffic from a drive with the wheels turned hard...Now its steers like it should, or at least like I would expect a Full-time 4x4 to act. :D

The fact that only a handfull of owners have noticed this quirk when driving tells me that although it`s not a common problem, it does exist (I.E. I swear its not my imagination ! ) ;)

Anyone who feels as though they may have this problem (?) might want to replace the tensioner...You be the judge !

Peace

Have never noticed this problem. But, my LX engine never gets gunned.

However, I have noticed the cold squeal problem, which could be related to somewhat loose belt tension also. A new belt improved but did not fully eliminate the cold squeal. :(

Definitely, a new tensioner with higher belt tension will increase the wear rate on water pump and other pulley bearings. If you put a new tensioner in, you may want to replace the water pump too, if you still have the factory pump at 90k+ miles (as I do).

bwbski26 said:
sin how many miles do u have on ur 100?

Hi Bw

I have approx. 117,000 mi. on mine

Tinkerer said:
Definitely, a new tensioner with higher belt tension will increase the wear rate on water pump and other pulley bearings. If you put a new tensioner in, you may want to replace the water pump too, if you still have the factory pump at 90k+ miles (as I do).

There are actually two "Tensioners" per say....The one I am referring to in this thread is the Serpentine belt tensioner/pulley (see first pic)... Its for the main drive belt that runs the A/C P/S and cooling fan.

The "other" tensioner is for the Timing Belt (second pic)..This is the one that could(?) put more strain on the water pump (because the water pump is driven by the t-belt, not the serpentine belt).

I decided to also replace the T-belt tensioner because it was fairly inexpensive and I was already in there replacing the water pump and T-belt, It was was one of those " Ehh..what the heck, why not ? " things. :)
wtaer-pump-015.jpg
wtaer-pump-016.jpg

SINCITY100 said:
There are actually two "Tensioners" per say....The one I am referring to in this thread is the Serpentine belt tensioner/pulley (see first pic)... Its for the main drive belt that runs the A/C P/S and cooling fan.

The "other" tensioner is for the Timing Belt (second pic)..This is the one that could(?) put more strain on the water pump (because the water pump is driven by the t-belt, not the serpentine belt).

I decided to also replace the T-belt tensioner because it was fairly inexpensive and I was already in there replacing the water pump and T-belt, It was was one of those " Ehh..what the heck, why not ? " things. :)

Oops, yes, the water pump is driven by the Timing Belt, not the serpentine. My mistake.

:doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom