Hard to steer w/ heavy acceleration (1 Viewer)

Joined
Feb 14, 2004
Messages
1,046
Location
Sandia Park, New Mexico
 
 
 
I’ve noticed that if I get heavy on the throttle, the steering becomes harder to turn for a moment. Has anyone else experienced this? I’m wondering if I need to tighten up my power steering belt. :confused:
DMX
 
Joined
Mar 18, 2005
Messages
284
Location
Austin, TX
 
 
 
I have noticed this too. I think it is just the power from the front wheels trying to pull away from the direction of the steer. I don't think there is much we can do about it.
 
Joined
Feb 23, 2005
Messages
1,081
Yup...I complained about the same problem in a previous thread.
It only occurs at fairly low speeds , and it takes considerably more effort to steer..especially to straighten it back out under power.

I have had to change my driving habits a bit to avoid this "phenomenon"
 

hoser

SILVER Star
Joined
Dec 21, 2003
Messages
10,292
Location
Bay Area, CA
 
 
 
Torque steer? I don't notice it though on the LC/LX. But some FWD cars I have driven have it real bad.
 
Joined
Feb 14, 2004
Messages
1,046
Location
Sandia Park, New Mexico
 
 
 
John, try this:
Form a stop gun it pretty good (it’s not necessary to floor it) and at the same time turn the wheel like to avoid something. Its also hard to straighten back up.
I’ve haven’t had torque steer with any AWD type vehicles, and this is not what I’m experiencing here IMO.
I’m wondering if it may be a belt.
DMX
 
Joined
Feb 23, 2005
Messages
1,081
DMX84 said:
John, try this:
I’ve haven’t had torque steer with any AWD type vehicles, and this is not what I’m experiencing here IMO.
I’m wondering if it may be a belt.
DMX
I replaced the belt...no change. Maybe its the tension on the belt that is the culprit. I did notice that the original serpentine tensioner on the 2000 has been updated by Toyota (new Part#)...I will be doing the T-belt soon and I think I`ll change that tensioner just for kicks (what the heck, its only 60 bucks). I will let ya know if it helps the steering problem at all....
 
Joined
Feb 14, 2004
Messages
1,046
Location
Sandia Park, New Mexico
 
 
 
SINCITY100 said:
I replaced the belt...no change. Maybe its the tension on the belt that is the culprit. I did notice that the original serpentine tensioner on the 2000 has been updated by Toyota (new Part#)...I will be doing the T-belt soon and I think I`ll change that tensioner just for kicks (what the heck, its only 60 bucks). I will let ya know if it helps the steering problem at all....



Hummm, that’s right it’s all on the same belt. I forgot about that.
So there’s a new part number for a tensioner? I wish Alldata was still FREE, so I could look up and see if there’s a TSB on this.
Thanks SIN,
LMK

DMX
 
Joined
Apr 2, 2003
Messages
8,683
Location
Tucson, AZ
DMX84 said:
John, try this:
Form a stop gun it pretty good (it’s not necessary to floor it) and at the same time turn the wheel like to avoid something. Its also hard to straighten back up.
I’ve haven’t had torque steer with any AWD type vehicles, and this is not what I’m experiencing here IMO.
I’m wondering if it may be a belt.
DMX
Didn't forget ya. My 100's been blocked by the 80. I'll be in it late today. John
 
Joined
Apr 2, 2003
Messages
8,683
Location
Tucson, AZ
I just tried many times and ways and I have easy and smooth steering all the time. Don't know what's up on yours. Sorry my friend. :confused:
 
Joined
Feb 14, 2004
Messages
1,046
Location
Sandia Park, New Mexico
 
 
 
Thanks, John. It’s got to be the belt slipping IMO and only when the engine is quickly reved. I think Ill try to turn the steering wheel while stopped and see if I can duplicate this phenomenon with out moving.
 
Joined
Jun 6, 2003
Messages
2,604
Location
Cuyamaca, CA and Las Vegas, NV
I did this last night on the way to work, trying to get over and off the fwy and had to get all the way on it and turn at the same time.

It was more difficult to turn but I don't think that is surprising.

One good way to make it stop would be to disconnect the front driveshaft and turn on the center differential:D

I doubt you'd have the same problem with no power going to the front end...
 
Joined
Dec 1, 2005
Messages
4
I have a 2004 LX470, and for awhile I thought its because of my 20" wheels that my steering wheel is acting up when in full throttle from stop. But i guess its a common thing then. Only time it does not happen when I low my suspension with my AHC 100 (after market) height control modulator in Crusing Low position, this problem does not occur. Probably has something to do with height maybe? I don know...this never happens if full throttle in high speeds...
 
Joined
Feb 23, 2005
Messages
1,081
SINCITY100 said:
I replaced the belt...no change. Maybe its the tension on the belt that is the culprit. I did notice that the original serpentine tensioner on the 2000 has been updated by Toyota (new Part#)...I will be doing the T-belt soon and I think I`ll change that tensioner just for kicks (what the heck, its only 60 bucks). I will let ya know if it helps the steering problem at all....
FOLLOW UP........

After finally replacing my T-belt and water pump, I decided to go ahead and replace the Serpentine tensioner.

After seeing a few threads and posts regarding 100 owners (including myself) experiencing a noticable loss of power steering when accelerating with the wheels turned sharply, It was suspected that the tensioner may be the culprit. After installing the new redesigned and MUCH tighter tensioner, This "issue" was improved by 80-90 % !! My guess is that the belt was slipping or perhaps not turning the pump fully when under load due to the weak tension on the belt.

I am much happier with the feel of the steering now, and it probably has improved the overall saftey of my rig when making an evasive (or self induced ) sharp turn with a heavy foot :D

Just thought I`d mention it to y`all !

Peace !
 
Joined
Mar 18, 2005
Messages
284
Location
Austin, TX
 
 
 
SINCITY100 said:
FOLLOW UP........

After finally replacing my T-belt and water pump, I decided to go ahead and replace the Serpentine tensioner.

After seeing a few threads and posts regarding 100 owners (including myself) experiencing a noticable loss of power steering when accelerating with the wheels turned sharply, It was suspected that the tensioner may be the culprit. After installing the new redesigned and MUCH tighter tensioner, This "issue" was improved by 80-90 % !! My guess is that the belt was slipping or perhaps not turning the pump fully when under load due to the weak tension on the belt.

I am much happier with the feel of the steering now, and it probably has improved the overall saftey of my rig when making an evasive (or self induced ) sharp turn with a heavy foot :D

Just thought I`d mention it to y`all !

Peace !
How much did the tensioner cost? Thinking about doing this too.
 
Joined
Feb 23, 2005
Messages
1,081
LonghornCruiser said:
How much did the tensioner cost? Thinking about doing this too.

It lists for $73.11 USD ( Toyota part # 16620-0W100)

It was worth EVERY penny to me ! :D
 
Joined
Feb 14, 2004
Messages
1,046
Location
Sandia Park, New Mexico
 
 
 
Sin, thanks for the update. I looked at my tensioner and it was steady as a rock, and thought it was fine. But perhaps it’s not as tight as it should be?
 
Joined
Feb 14, 2004
Messages
1,046
Location
Sandia Park, New Mexico
 
 
 
My AWD turbo car doesn’t have this problem, and I don’t recall it happening on any of the AWD cars I’ve driven. STi’s EVO’s etc.
DMX
 
Joined
Feb 23, 2005
Messages
1,081
There was a direct correlation between the old tensioner and my steering issue..As soon as I drove my 100 after installing the new unit, I noticed a huge improvement in the "assist" from the pump under the same driving condition (I.E. taking off from a low speed with the wheels turned hard and gunning the engine)... Before the pulley change it was very unnerving to punch the gas when coming through a sharp corner or quickly pulling out into traffic from a drive with the wheels turned hard...Now its steers like it should, or at least like I would expect a Full-time 4x4 to act. :D

The fact that only a handfull of owners have noticed this quirk when driving tells me that although it`s not a common problem, it does exist (I.E. I swear its not my imagination ! ) ;)

Anyone who feels as though they may have this problem (?) might want to replace the tensioner...You be the judge !

Peace
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom