Hard Starting 22re (1994) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When cold, and not that cold as it was only 60 out this morning. The truck has a hard time starting. It will sometimes click and then turn over and over once it does finally start it shakes like its running on two cylinders for a few seconds and then idles fine.

We have only owned the truck for a bout 2 weeks and did not do this when it was warmer out (cold front moved in).

When its warm it normally starts right up, but can sometimes give the problems listed above.

I had the alternator and battery checked and they tested out good. The starter also looks new and there was a receipt for it that came with the truck. But just because the starter is new doesn't mean its good, as it still clicks when you go to start it.

I have all the basic stuff coming for a tune up, new plug, wires, cap, rotor, etc etc,
Which I hope will help some..

Is there anything I missing, I could check out?
Thanks again,
-Al:beer:

I'd check the wiring. It may be getting poor due to age. The battery to engine ground and chassis ground wires are critical. Also check the battery to starter cable. Clicking means there isn't enough voltage at the starter. Something is causing to high of a resistance which lowers the available voltage at the starter. It could also be the solenoid contacts in the starter.

Hopefully your tune up will solve the problem. Mine started up running rough like that for the first time this "summer" (temps in the 50's:rolleyes:) after sitting for two weeks, which finally led me to inspect the ignition components and notice they needed to be replaced. Runs great now. Your starter shouldn't be clicking though. How many miles on the truck?

Last edited:
I would:

Check all battery connections and grounds.

How old is the starter and where was it purchased? (starter manufacture)

Check coolant level

Clean intake throttle valve (butterfly?)

Check ignition timing

Test Cold start injector for proper operation

Alright...

I should change the title to non-starting

I also got some more information, this morning I had a few minutes to look over the truck and clean up some ground wires(some where a little dirty).

But, I noticed ocean salt all over the engine bay (that was not there when I bought it)...So I talked to the little lady and she said she stalled it when the town flooded. An extreme high tide flooded town...

I am not sure if the problem was cause by this or not.

But now the truck is not starting...It ran fine last night though.

Coolant level is good, connections seem good after a little cleaning, all it does is crank and not fire.
Ill have to look up on how to check the cold start injectors...

Ill report back when I know more, if you guys got any ideas let me know.

-Al

OK...

Oddly enough the truck started tonight after some cranking.

I checked for fuel and spark it had both. I pulled the cold start injector and it did not seem all that dirty but i cleaned it anyway. I tried blowing threw it but I could not(not sure if you are able to anyway). I also checked out all the fuses and they seemed fine. I did not check the efi relays as I figured they were fine as the truck ran.

I only got to replace the spark plug wires (NGK) and air filter, as the rest of the tune up parts have not come yet. I also checked before it started and after to see if it was throwing codes and it did not either time. In any case it is clear I need to pick up a FSM for this rig as its the only one I have owned so far with out one.

I am starting to think the problem is all electrical, with the salt water splashing into the engine bay I am thinking it has corded and connection somewhere along the line. I am going to pick up some dielectric grease and start pulling apart all connections and cleaning them. Hopefully that and the rest of the tune up parts will solve the problem. I am a little irked as this was such a clean motor and now it has salt corrosion on most AL parts...

Thanks for the link, just bookmarked it...

Well I am not sure what the problem was but I did a full tune up with OEM/NGK parts and its running great. I still think there is a loose or bad connection somewhere in the system. Thanks for the help.

Well I am not sure what the problem was but I did a full tune up with OEM/NGK parts and its running great. I still think there is a loose or bad connection somewhere in the system. Thanks for the help.

With this and the mention of salt in the engine bay I'd seriously consider a through cleaning of the engine compartment and under carriage. Then grease all the greaseable stuff including the drive shafts. Also put the starter and the power and ground wires going to it on the replace list.

You want to clean the salt off the engine electrical parts as any time the humidity is very high or it is rainy you may have additional starting and running problems.

Anytime after partial submersion, check your oils., both differentials, transfer case, and transmission. Also the engine oil too. You are looking for milky cloudiness in any of them. If you see it then replace em all. The milky cloudiness is caused by water.

Yulp, I spent a long time cleaning up the engine bay. I was pretty ticked to say the least about it.

I checked the fluids and they all seemed fine. I have dealt with pea soup gear oil enough after hurricane seasons, I am glad its over for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom