HAMOM request March 4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry I will miss this. I won't be in the area until a week after this event. Would love to come by and help/learn.

Jerry- quick question.
Are you swapping the whole rear and front axles with locked ones or just the thirds?

Just wandering since I essentially want to do the same to mine.

Sorry I will miss this. I won't be in the area until a week after this event. Would love to come by and help/learn.

Jerry- quick question.
Are you swapping the whole rear and front axles with locked ones or just the thirds?

Just wandering since I essentially want to do the same to mine.

Sorry to miss you, we will catch up soon.

Swapping whole, re-geared/rebuilt axles. There would be a strong argument to put ARB's air-lockers instead of the OEM e-lock'd axles. ARB's are faster to lock and some believe they are stronger although I got the e-lockers for less than it would have cost me for the pair of ARB's + parts.

So, whole axles and rebuilt/re-geared t-case (thanks Eric) waiting to be swapped in.

Matt - It just occurred to me that, if you want to wait and do your knuckles during this HAMOM, I'd bet we could get them done also. Some of these guys can do a pair in their sleep and having their expertise around would give you a chance to learn from some experts.

I do have to keep things a bit stealth due to my HOA restrictions but I'm sure we can manage it easily. Let me know what you think...

I don't want to impose or make anyone stay longer than necessary. If members are willing I would love the assistance on my first axle rebuild. I'd be happy to bring some beer and Allen and Son BBQ from down the street if we need any.

Thanks for the offer and I should be there regardless.

I don't want to impose or make anyone stay longer than necessary. If members are willing I would love the assistance on my first axle rebuild. I'd be happy to bring some beer and Allen and Son BBQ from down the street if we need any.

Thanks for the offer and I should be there regardless.

It should not be a problem Matt. With some preparation and planning, we can make it happen.

After looking at your knuckles current condition (dry), no clicking or symptoms of trouble, having a full rebuild kit from Kurt in hand, it's doable.

Let's talk more after you get back from DC and make a plan of attack...

Going to try and make it Jerry. Been too long.

Bumping the thread and updating...

Matt will be bringing his sweet 62 to go thru his first knuckle rebuild as well as doing the axle/t-case swap on my 80. Weather looks good, cool but clear without threat of rain.

I gave my 80 some love with the power washer today and picked up another box of parts from Fred Anderson. I gave all the nuts/bolts a coat of PB before power washing, will hit them again tomorrow.

I asked Matt to bring breakfast stuff (biscuits/coffee/etc), I'll cover lunch and dinner if staying for basketball game.

Looking for some extra tools to make things go smoothly:

Floor jack (I have one, a second could prove valuable)
Jack stands (never have enough)
Brass drift (mine are beat)
Fish scale (for backup)
Control arm bushing press tool thing-a-majig (I have a lead on one but...)

Confident but nervous about the goals, I've got more work to do on my rear axle, will be ready for Saturday. Thanks to all who are coming to help Matt and I out...

I'll be drinking coffee and staring at the project with a cup of coffee by 8a, getting dirty as soon as the caffeine kicks in. I'm sure there will be some discussions on strategy while people arrive and coffee works...

Hey everyone, trying to get an official breakfast count for Saturday. If I get a dozen chicken biscuits or similar from Rise/Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen/Bojangles would that suffice?

Also Jerry, you can mark me down for 4 jackstands and a floor jack along with what you passed off to me last week. Anything else I should toss in there?

I'll be drinking coffee and staring at the project with a cup of coffee by 8a, getting dirty as soon as the caffeine kicks in. I'm sure there will be some discussions on strategy while people arrive and coffee works...
By coffee, do you mean Folgers or the finest premium organic coffee from beans harvested on virgin hillside, roasted in a traditional stone oven, and ground in digital burr grinder.

Personally, I would drink anything called "coffee" at 8am.

I'm going to bring a brass head dead blow. I've been meaning to try it out on some cone washers. I will also bring my U-joint tool. Do you have a BIG vise?

By coffee, do you mean Folgers or the finest premium organic coffee from beans harvested on virgin hillside, roasted in a traditional stone oven, and ground in digital burr grinder.

You have met Jerry, right? He doesn't skimp ;)

I won't be there for early morning coffee or breakfast, but will try to be there by mid-morning.

You have met Jerry, right? He doesn't skimp ;)

I won't be there for early morning coffee or breakfast, but will try to be there by mid-morning.

I do enjoy good coffee, having gone thru several phases we are now using the Nespresso system that offers a variety of fine choices. No plastic in their capsules, they offer free recycling of them and their frother is amazing.

We will have plenty of cold drinks also, wife loves Diet Coke also.

Be great to see you Ramon, yes, I try not to do things half-ass

I have a good vise but this may push its limits. The u-joint tool will be handy for sure. The task I'm most stressed about is pushing the old bushings out. I'm planning on having several options to cut them out if I can't find a tool press them out.

I'll be there early, I'll throw some of the requested items in my truck in case they are needed. Jerry, if you need a hand during the evenings leading up to this, lemme know....

I've got the control arm bushing tool (Slee's) ... I'm not 100% sure I can make it this weekend, but I can at least bring it with me tonight to give to Ramon...

Worst case scenario we can ride over to my house to use my big parker vice if something happens to Jerry's.

@GarnerFJ40 please do bring the control arm bushing tool!!!! It will cut down on the time required for the swap by quite a bit.

@Mtbcoach make sure to spray the shock bolts, brake line fittings (frame to axles), pitman arm TRE castle nut and steering stabilizer bolts as well.

There's a lot to be done folks, this is going to be a pedal to the medal type of day. I'm gonna be ready :bounce:

@Hokierig make sure to bring an entire case of brake cleaner with you for your axle rebuild. I recommend the cheapest chlorinated brake cleaner you can find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom