Hale Creek Shelter Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And, there was a plethora of Coastal Cruiser members working on this, looked pretty cool.

Nope to both, the ring is there but I'm guessing we'll be digging it by hand.
Maybe we should bring some dynamite for trail maintenance.
Kim, Mat, Robert, and Brent (maybe more) stayed up today as well. They still need to get a couple of picnic tables up to Sunrise. Was very cool seeing the fire burning in the stove, whilst eating steak and potatoes.

I'm glad a few stayed up to help Kim today. I felt bad leaving when I did but had commitments last night I needed to be back for. That thing looks so good with the roof on.

That is not a Phil or Brent fire though in there from the looks of it. Must have been breaking it in easy :p

What is the plan for getting the last of the stuff done? was the concrete base made for the fire pit? Hard to tell in those pictures. I guess the culvert will be put in on the next maintenance run.

And, there was a plethora of Coastal Cruiser members working on this, looked pretty cool.

It was pretty cool to look at the beach and see all the Coastal Cruisers camped along there. Defiantly had a good showing for the size of the club. There where quite a few herd guys too there on saturday but only one or two stayed the night.

Did the guys from Bone Shakers make it there in there silver 4runner? I helped them fix a broken break line at about 10km mark on the way out. they were on there way to help out.

That is not a Phil or Brent fire though in there from the looks of it. Must have been breaking it in easy :p

What is the plan for getting the last of the stuff done? was the concrete base made for the fire pit? Hard to tell in those pictures. I guess the culvert will be put in on the next maintenance run.

Did the guys from Bone Shakers make it there in there silver 4runner? I helped them fix a broken break line at about 10km mark on the way out. they were on there way to help out.

Mike from Forestry was still there when the fire was being built, and I left before him, so I imagine Brent christened it later... if he wasn't too tired.
Concrete base is in.
Yup, saw a silver 4 Runner helping out.
I guess Kim will give us the lowdown on what were doing with the outhouse, sure would be nice to have a mini-excavator help out with that one.

I just got home now. I, and my family, had a decent bit of 'fun' trying to leave Hale the easy way. The truck and trailer, weighing probably in the 9000lb neighbourhood, had an issue trying to get over that large rock on the off camber section. Tried a few lines after backing down that section a little bit each time but didn't have the momentum.

So, I back all the way down the hill and do it in 2nd instead. Yee haw he says! We made the hill first shot but that shot had the trailer airborn, 3-4 FEET I'm told, I wasn't looking backwards so cant confirm it. :) My family, every single one were laughing like crazy, giddy like. I had to chuckle but I'll have to admit to being a 'tad' heavy. Absolutely nothing moved inside the trailer or the 3 ladders and a wheel barrow on top.

oh yeah, Bill and Glenn arrived just as we were about to leave, which was 3 or so.

So many little things ate up time today. Dealing with site cleanup, extra lumber, metal, dunnage, pallets, the kitchen, recyclables, stains, paints, picnic tables...pack up our own camps, pack and pack some more. Mat, Robert and Brent assisted for as long as they could which stretched to 1 pm for them. Brent stayed to the end to help me with the final packing.

Exhausted is the word. So many people worked so hard to make this project probably the most amazing thing that ANY of us have done. After constructing this absolutely stunningly beautiful log structure, I find myself disbelieving that the government built this for us and we were able to actually put it up with volunteers. The sign in sheet says 45 people helped but I suspect there are those who didn't sign, maybe 10?.

The barge arrived at about 11:30am Saturday and we worked non-stop until dark. Robert fed us gourmet food and we basically collapsed in our chairs, and eventually, bed. Sunday was a 7am start for the excavator and we were rocking and rolling until dark again, about 8:30 was when we screwed the last piece of roofing on. Robert fed us again with another wonderful meal and the bulk of the folks who were there, the log builder, Mike from the ministry, his son Tim, Sass, and a few Association folks Corey, Rick and Kathy, Dale, and others who dont come to mind immediately.

We did it! Unbelievable!

You guys are awesome. The Cruiser club supplied quite a number of folks, basically the core of the crew, who worked very hard and maintained excellent attitudes through long hours. This wouldn't be finished without you guys!

We didn't manage to get tables to Sunrise, so we built them and left them at Hale. They burn equally as well at either altitude so we said what the hell. We didn't dig a new outhouse the current location has lots of capacity remaining it just needs to be treated with lime. So, if someone is going up, bring lime and dump it in the hole. I don't know how much is required.

I'm going to drink now, then I'm going to bed. :)

Unbelievable!

Thank you to all of you. You are amazing.

Well done, Kim and everyone! It's easy to volunteer when there is good, positive leadership! :cheers:

One thing I do with outhouses when I camp is dump my cooled campfire ashes in them the next morning. The carbon acts like a smell absorber. Bring my bucket 'o' ash before my morning constitution. You want a nice smelling outhouse, bring yer own ash, I say! :p

Outhouse achieves escape velocity, establishes steady orbit.

In other news, Police are still clueless about the whereabouts of Mr. Lance Lum.

Lum, a Burnaby resident, is described as 5'5" tall, speaks with a lisp, prone to explosive flatulence.

WOW, amazing, awe inspiring, remarkable, unbelievable, perfect, those are just a few words that come to mind but do no justice to what I witnessed this weekend.
The show of volunteers was amazing, and the show from our club was something that we should all be proud of, we have definitely earned a large part of this build and I hope you all can take pride and appreciate it when you see it.
There were a lot of people from all different clubs, all working harder than anyone I've ever seen to accomplish something that I hope will be there for years to come, something our children and hopefully even their children will be able to enjoy.
You should all be proud of this.

BUT, we still need your help, the task was massive and we managed to get a lot done in very little time, but some things need to be finished off. We still need some help next weekend, please, if you couldn't make it this weekend show your support. If you were there and can spare the time or want to see it finished, come out.

This was truly a weekend that proves what a great group of people we have as members, and what a great community of four wheelers we have.

Last edited:
well done all.

BUT, we still need your help, the task was massive and we managed to get a lot done in very little time, but some things need to be finished off. We still need some help next weekend, please, if you couldn't make it this weekend show your support. If you were there and can spare the time or want to see it finished, come out.

This was truly a weekend that proves what a great group of people we have as members, and what a great community of four wheelers we have.

I'd love to go back this weekend, except I have an MMA event at the Vogue this Saturday. Hours for that are worse than the build, load in at 8:00AM, strike at midnight.
Now, the next weekend (24/25) I might be sans kids... :hmm:

Wow CC'ers, that right there is some fine work. Next time Im over your way Ill get in touch and see it in person.

Its great to see that kind of teamwork and dedication.

:cheers:

It feels good to be part of this project and such a team.
I would like to share some pictures with you and probably see you there on upcoming weekend.
P1060055.JPG
P1060062.JPG
P1060063.JPG

and more
P1060066.JPG
P1060080.JPG
P1060085.JPG

and some more
P1060095.JPG
P1060100.JPG
P1060103.JPG

working hard