h55f strange leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ask here because diesel folks know the most and h55f is in a few models. No seat belts and light globe questions!.

I was gunning the 2h in my hj75 troop bit harder than usual today 500km round trip. Well, as much as a 2h can be gunned without over revving. Towing about a 1t in 4th gear 80-90kmh, then unloaded and unhitched the trailer and rocketed back (as much as a 2h does at 2400 rpm) at over 105-110kmh for 2hrs straight. Not much 4wd, only a bit, some extremely bad corrugations for 10km, had to go slow there. Not worrying about fuel consumption due to be on a time constrained mission.

A while back I put in a breather /bypass/ equaliser hose from transfer to gearbox maybe 50k kms ago. For the most part happy about that.

Anyway, after today's sprint I discovered a little gear oil coming out of the top of the transfer. Looks like where the selector is.
Is the bypass hose having difficulty keeping up with the amount of oil leaking out of the gearbox to transfer seal ? and so a little oil rises up to the top of the transfer?
1678617745559.png

1678618150961.png

1678618318569.png

That odd how the bad seal between gear box and T-case can react differently. In my case oil is being pumper from the T-case to the gear box.
My gear box was hard to shift..when I checked oil level, a stream of oil got out from the higher plug (level)!!! It was full.

With a long road trip with a trailer, oil temperature must have raised. If your T-case breather is not up to the task, pressure could have build up and some oil could have been pushed through all openings?

Yes, that is what I think, I rarely run at that push, normally drive like miss daisy. I would have lost about 5mm oil, so not going to worry until next week with a gear and transfer oil change. My leak goes from gear to transfer.

I get more concerned when leaks are at a lower point with more gusto, like the shims on the transfer output bearing and there is slop, but she stills feels tight.

pop the trans tunnel cover off and check the transfer case bolts at the top, mine did the same leaked when I pushed hard and found those top bolts were loose

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom