H55F - best mod you can make (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[quote author=Bret link=board=1;threadid=8501;start=msg72448#msg72448 date=1070796192]
The H55f I got from MAF wasn't too beat up other than a crack through one of the bolt holes for the transfer case. But they sent it with what looked like a brand new E-brake on the back. They advertise 27% overdrive for the tranny but I have yet to figure out how to get it. I keep counting revolutions input to output and still get 15%, can I just not count, or are there 27% OD H55's? When all was said and done I kept the tranny because of the E-brake parts that came free. I wasn't real pleased how it all worked out though. MAF tends to be my court of last resort now. Does anyone have experience with the over/under drive gear sets for the split case? good? bad?
[/quote]

The OD on the H55 is not 27%, MAF must have it wrong. Keep the tranny as 15% OD is all you're going to get.

I have the 1.08/3.08 (underdrive/underdrive) Marks gearset installed. I like it but be ready for a loud whine from the gears.

Dave

[quote author=drexx link=board=1;threadid=8501;start=msg72425#msg72425 date=1070783133]
06Dec2003 (UTC -8)

Was yours the white FJ-60 with the 4-speed that had a chipped tooth? If yes, I helped take it out, and I even cleaned out the transfer case when we dissambled it. I even have my skin peeling off my hands due to the hours at the parts cleaner ;)

How do you like your GoodYear A/T tyres? I've been thinking about replacing the BFG Goodrich late next year or so.
[/quote]

No. The red '87 FJ60 with Goodyear MTRs. I really like the MTRs - on highway behaviour and driveability are really good for an agressive tire. I have not run them in any razor rocks yet, but hope that the heavier sidewalls will work better than tires I've run in the past.

Mike S

How difficult is the H55F to mate to a '78 engine/drivetrain? That's been on my list since I bought mine 9 months ago and have been trying to learn a little more before doing it. Is it pretty much a direct fit or does a person have to get creative to get it in a '78 FJ40? Transfer case an issue? Didn't TLC in Van Nuys have H55's on sale for like $1599.00 over the past few months? Thought I saw an ad in Toyota Trails.

[quote author=Cruiserhead05 link=board=1;threadid=8501;start=msg72341#msg72341 date=1070768182]
A 5-speed manual definately sounds like it would be sweet in any old cruiser even if it has a v-8. my question is though. did you pay dearly for the tranny and install? thanks
[/quote]

Ahh, kind of pricey - about $2k for the new tranny. Gary did a lot of other stuff while it in the shop - clutch, PS pump, smog pump, tcase rebild, etc. Main thing I was trying to accomplish was reliability driveability, so we replaced everything we could find that looked iffy.

Gary's prices are fair, his work is very good. Hard to find a serious Cruiser mechanic.

Mike S

My bad...$1899.00 at TLC. Haven't had my coffee yet this morning. :D

[quote author=78crzr link=board=1;threadid=8501;start=msg72474#msg72474 date=1070816495]
How difficult is the H55F to mate to a '78 engine/drivetrain? That's been on my list since I bought mine 9 months ago and have been trying to learn a little more before doing it. Is it pretty much a direct fit or does a person have to get creative to get it in a '78 FJ40? Transfer case an issue? Didn't TLC in Van Nuys have H55's on sale for like $1599.00 over the past few months? Thought I saw an ad in Toyota Trails.
[/quote]

on a 78 you will need(and I'm SURE this isn't all) a split t-case(this might be a case where the used trany/t-case combo makes sense IF rebuilt well or have it done) do something about parking brake(t-case or rear axle) shifter will sit in wrong spot(futher back), crossmember, I think new bell housing(3F?) and a bunch of other stuff. The "easest" 40 to swap a h55 into would be a 81-83...they have the parking brakes on rear axle and split case. Do-able on your 78 for sure, but not a direct swap like a late 85-87 fj60 or even a 81+ fj60. Prolly twice the work and close to twice the price. But it would be a sweet swap I'm sure and has been done many time I imagine.

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=8501;start=msg72569#msg72569 date=1070837779]
do something about parking brake(t-case or rear axle) [/quote]

Or buy these axles and get a rear parking brake, high pinion front diff bigger front brakes, and bigger birfs:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33728&item=2446822677 I was told the reserve is $600.

a1_3.JPG

Dave

[attachment deleted by admin]

really close.

just mm's off i believe

[quote author=beanz2 link=board=1;threadid=8501;start=msg72929#msg72929 date=1070914227]
56.5 front
55.5 rear

same as 40 widths, no?

Dave
[/quote]
Huh, then what are they off of?
I thought- They look wider, and nothing since 40's have had as skinny a width... hence I arrived (too quickly apparently) at the conclusion they were wider.

Saw the ad and it does not look like the RR is a FF. No real reason to buy that when you can get a full set of 60 axles with FF for a little more and widen the stance or just go 40 FF and be done with it.

FWIIW: I would not out a 5 spd in a 40. In a 55 or especially in a 60 I would do it in a heartbeat. In a 40 I see it as too much trouble for limited gains. A ranger might be a better choice. I would be happier with a marlin TC and stock 4 spd.

I have been in touch with the supplier in AU that MAF and SOR buy from. Their price runs around $1250 including shipping bought in quanities of 5 or more. They are bascially a nationwide junkyard and pull out working units. There is warrenty but that does you little good here. I would buy new or used with a good warr. enforced here.

If you go here:

http://www.birfield.com/~ramullen/FAQ/TEXT/09-00.html

it lists the axle widths according to the FAQ.

The inner axles of the 70 are the same part number as the 40 series (later model).

The advantage of this axle set is explained in the write-up. Certianly a FF rear is be nice, however the e-brake system is a bonus and considered a selling point for someone going to a split case (H55F/H42/H41).

H55F's in 40/2's rock. That said, my BJ42 will be getting an H41. A marlin would be very nice addition dd113. The H42/3B combo is not a nice start on slopes with 33" tires. The H41 will help considerably.

Anyone have a late model 40/2 front and rear laying around you can measure WMS's to WMS on?

gb

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=8501;start=msg72995#msg72995 date=1070923820]
Huh, then what are they off of?
[/quote]

Off a 70 series.

[quote author=dd113 link=board=1;threadid=8501;start=msg73043#msg73043 date=1070929422]
FWIIW: I would not out a 5 spd in a 40. In a 55 or especially in a 60 I would do it in a heartbeat. In a 40 I see it as too much trouble for limited gains.
[/quote]

Why not, David? The drivetrain length issue? I run an even longer NV4500, split case and t-case mounted e-brake and still manage to keep the rear axle at the stock location (to keep the aux tank)

BTW, switching to a factory axle parking brake itself is a gain, those e-brakes really work.

Dave

I did not say it was a bad idea but I would not do it. For me, I am happy with going slower on the hwy w/o the 5th gear. I would much rather have the lower gearing that a marlin would provide. I currently run a 4 spd w 3spd TC and have found it sufficient for everything I want to do; for now. I am not all that concerned with the lenght but it can be an issue.

If I had all the other mods done that i want I would then consider the 5 spd.

I have a bunch of customers whos truck just sort of limps along with no brakes and runs like hell and all they care about is the amount they can get with blah, blah kit.....In the great grand scheme of things dropping RPM at highway speeds is great but it needs to be in the proper perspective.

The above is just an opinion; take it FWIW and no Bailey, I am not referring to you :flipoff2:

[quote author=dd113 link=board=1;threadid=8501;start=msg73145#msg73145 date=1070941638]The above is just an opinion; take it FWIW and no Bailey, I am not referring to you :flipoff2:
[/quote]
Suuuuure you're not David. ::)
Just cause my truck happens to have no brakes, run poorly, and I was workin on on board air and an SM420 before we finished gettin it runnin right......
Naw couldn't have been me. :flipoff2: :D

[quote author=Bret link=board=1;threadid=8501;start=msg72448#msg72448 date=1070796192]
Does anyone have experience with the over/under drive gear sets for the split case? good? bad?
[/quote]

I installed a set into a 12/82 FJ-40. Overdrive/Underdrive. MUST USE TOYOTA BUSHINGS IN GEARS, NOT AFTERMARKET!!! Must clearance the transfer case housing for either set, not that big of a deal, in my opinion, but still needs to be done, and some are sheepish about removing material from the housing, as I was. Gears did make a bit more noise than the standard set, but after about 200 miles of so, they have quieted right down. I have changed the gear oil in them more frequently, as I wanted to keep an eye on things, but I, and the customer have not noticed any of the noise that was initially there. This was over a year ago now, and at least five-thousand miles. I have heard that many people have not been as lucky, and that the gear noise is significant, to the point in some cases that the operator and passengers don ear plugs. If I had a vehicle that was going to be outfitted for on higway, and off, this is a modification that I would seriously consider.

Good luck!

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom