GX470 with the Mark Levinson crap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello. I have an issue where no sound will come out of the speakers using the radio. The NAV lady will talk out of the driver’s door speaker. I put the screen in diagnostic mode and everything came up Aces so I’m stumped.
3364487C-501F-4131-B321-3BF469A6C3E4.jpeg

I just bought this thing on Saturday so still going through it. The screen would not come up initially and I found radio2 fuse blown. When I replaced it, the screen started work and gave me Nav and Backup Cam and of course now I can use the climate control functions. Is there a fuse somewhere else for the amplifier? I pulled the amp out from under the seat and looked at the board for burnt spots but found none. Put everything back reseating the connectors at the amplifier and at the back of the radio and still no dice. If it’s fried it’s getting bypassed!!

The speaker surround might be blown. This is common problem and there is a company that sells replacement foam surround.

The speaker surround might be blown. This is common problem and there is a company that sells replacement foam surround.
If it was the speaker surrounds then that would mean that the Nav Voice wouldn't work either. I know at least the speaker in the Driver Door works so technically if all other speakers were blown, that one would still play music. Its definitely the amplifier.

Sounds like a classic amp failure... Would be awesome if you had someone local to you so you could swap amps and test, since your amp appears to be online as per your screenshot.

Is the audio screen greyed out?

That amp is outrageously expensive. It cost about $500 to get it rebuild. Some people successfully use SC430 amp at much lower price. Not sure of the calibration or power is different or not, but it plug and play.

^
True facts. I chose to get mine rebuilt/repaired by Untied Radio in NY. Pretty expensive (~$400+) for the rebuild but I feel that it was worth it to keep the system.

ML NAV ‘09 missing center channel sound
My DVD Audio disc collection (5.1 channel sound) plays fine on unit through all other L/R front-back speakers . Previous owner did not even know what DVD-A was so I am first to play them.. No buzzing just a silent center absent lead singer/ chorus voices. Idea what is wrong and a fix?

I may be absolutely wrong on this but I'm pretty sure I remember reading that the output for the Nav audio comes from the head unit only and all the audio from the radio is processed separately through the amp. You can replace the entire sound system for the price of the amp basically and all the speakers are ridiculous ohm impedance where honestly if you ran aftermarket speakers you'd want to replace the amp anyway. I took a gamble and bought one of the phoenix automotive head units that works my climate control as well and it has worked flawlessly so far. They can be hooked up to multiple cameras and whatever aftermarket audio equipment you wish to use. I'd just find an audio shop that knows what they're doing and get the amp and speakers replaced.

The amplifier is responsible for the NAV voice and BT hands-free phone, so it's not likely the culprit unless every channel BUT the center driver door speaker went out. The head unit sends a digital audio signal to the amplifier where it is processed. I know it's digital because that's the only way to achieve surround sound with only four wires of input. It could still be the amp but it would have to be the signal processing chip, otherwise your head unit is what failed.

The amplifier is responsible for the NAV voice and BT hands-free phone, so it's not likely the culprit unless every channel BUT the center driver door speaker went out. The head unit sends a digital audio signal to the amplifier where it is processed. I know it's digital because that's the only way to achieve surround sound with only four wires of input. It could still be the amp but it would have to be the signal processing chip, otherwise your head unit is what failed.
Well I have the Beatsonic unit now a single DIN radio somewhere. I can test this out. If it works then that would be great. I can put off replacing the amplifier with an aftermarket and doing all that extra wiring.

Well I have the Beatsonic unit now a single DIN radio somewhere. I can test this out. If it works then that would be great. I can put off replacing the amplifier with an aftermarket and doing all that extra wiring.

I did a writeup when I replaced all my speakers, installed a JBL 5-ch amp, retained the factory amp and rerouted the NAV voice to the center channel. If your amp really is the culprit, at least the NAV voice is still functional and can therefore be likewise rerouted to the dash speaker. All the wires for the speakers are then right there so an aftermarket amp install isn't as daunting as it might sound.

FWIW, I replaced the front 6x9's with Audiofrogs, the rear 5 1/4 with Hertz, the barn door 3" with front doorcard 3.5"s and could not be happpier with the sound. It is really very well balanced and nicely staged. If the amp is repairable you may want to consider it.

FWIW, I replaced the front 6x9's with Audiofrogs, the rear 5 1/4 with Hertz, the barn door 3" with front doorcard 3.5"s and could not be happpier with the sound. It is really very well balanced and nicely staged. If the amp is repairable you may want to consider it.

Also FWIW, the ML amplifier is looking for 8ohm speakers...

ML NAV ‘09 missing center channel sound
My DVD Audio disc collection (5.1 channel sound) plays fine on unit through all other L/R front-back speakers . Previous owner did not even know what DVD-A was so I am first to play them.. No buzzing just a silent center absent lead singer/ chorus voices. Idea what is wrong and a fix?
Correction: My center front speaker works fine on most DVD-A . Some discs like Steely Dan simply did not balance that channel in the multi layer recording. There has been no sound deterioration in my collected discs performance over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom