GX470 Rear Differential Oil Change Video (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.lastgreatroadtrip.com
Most folks here know how to change the gear lube in their truck's rear differential but for the guys new to wrenching on their overland truck I wanted to post up this how to video. Changing the rear diff oil is an easy maintenance job and one you should do on a regular schedule as well as when you first purchase your used GX470.

If you want a little more info or list of parts: changing the rear differential oil in a Lexus GX470.

the part that takes the longest is just filling it up (if youre using a hand pump).

I would fill from a high point and let gravity do the work or use the new Amsoil squeeze bags.

the part that takes the longest is just filling it up (if youre using a hand pump).

I would fill from a high point and let gravity do the work or use the new Amsoil squeeze bags.
Man, wish I would have known about those before I bought valvoline

Man, wish I would have known about those before I bought valvoline

yea,

These bags look nice. Ill give them a shot when i replace my fluid again. Currently running amsoil severe gear from the bottle and i was tired after filling up 1 pumpkin using the hand pump.

the part that takes the longest is just filling it up....

I'm with you... getting lube back in is the most time consuming for me. I'm going to have to check out those severe gear bags. Thanks for the heads up on those.

I'm with you... getting lube back in is the most time consuming for me. I'm going to have to check out those severe gear bags. Thanks for the heads up on those.

Get a cheap 1 gallon weed sprayer from home depot, cut the sprayer end off the wand and install 4-6" of 3/8 clear vinyl on the end. Fill with gear oil, pump up the sprayer and zip tie the handle to fill the diff on it's own. I've used this for the Diffs, Tcase, and trans drain and refill's on many Toyota's. I added a schrader valve to use shop air to be even lazier about pumping up the container.

Here is a pic from when I was finishing up my E Locker swap a couple months ago.

20190226_165142.jpg

Get a cheap 1 gallon weed sprayer from home depot, cut the sprayer end off the wand and install 4-6" of 3/8 clear vinyl on the end. Fill with gear oil, pump up the sprayer and zip tie the handle to fill the diff on it's own. I've used this for the Diffs, Tcase, and trans drain and refill's on many Toyota's. I added a schrader valve to use shop air to be even lazier about pumping up the container.

Here is a pic from when I was finishing up my E Locker swap a couple months ago.

View attachment 1951497
Genius!!! Never would have thought it, much the less mocked it up.

Most folks here know how to change the gear lube in their truck's rear differential but for the guys new to wrenching on their overland truck I wanted to post up this how to video. Changing the rear diff oil is an easy maintenance job and one you should do on a regular schedule as well as when you first purchase your used GX470.

If you want a little more info or list of parts: changing the rear differential oil in a Lexus GX470.

thanks for the vid. its guys like you online that I rely on to help with a lot of wrenching know how and to answer quick questions.

thanks for the vid. its guys like you online that I rely on to help with a lot of wrenching know how and to answer quick questions.

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad our videos help others and appreciate hearing from guys who enjoy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom