GX470 dreaded air suspension issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for some pointers on diagnosing the air suspension issues I’m having (‘08 GX470 with 150k miles). A few days ago, I started noticing the truck’s rear bouncing excessively over bumps. I found the height controls don’t work. I tried the reset and was able to get the ‘hi’ switch to work but it didn’t actually raise, so it was stuck on ‘hi’. After letting it sit overnight, I went back out, started the truck, and waited several minutes for the pump to kick on. When it did, I again observed no change in height and pushed the button back to ‘N’ because I’m a little OCD, so it’s stuck on ‘N’ again. I can only get that switch to work when I hear the pump, which only turns on after letting the truck sit for a few minutes.
I’ve checked the air bags and they don’t have any noticeable issues that I can tell, and feel inflated, although if I measure the top of the tire to the fender, the rear passenger is about 0.5” lower than the driver’s side (typical Lexus lean?).
Anyone have a similar experience or have any helpful info on what to do next? I know I can just swap to coils and be done with it but I’m interested in understanding the actual problem/s in case I can fix it for even less.

Last edited:
Looking for some pointers on diagnosing the air suspension issues I’m having (‘08 GX470 with 150k miles). A few days ago, I started noticing the truck’s rear bouncing excessively over bumps. I found the height controls don’t work. I tried the reset and was able to get the ‘hi’ switch to work but it didn’t actually raise, so it was stuck on ‘hi’. After letting it sit overnight, I went back out, started the truck, and waited several minutes for the compressor to kick on. When it did, I again observed no change in height and pushed the button back to ‘N’ because I’m a little OCD, so it’s stuck on ‘N’ again. I can only get that switch to work when I hear the compressor, which only turns on after letting the truck sit for a few minutes.
I’ve checked the air bags and they don’t have any noticeable issues that I can tell, and feel inflated, although if I measure the top of the tire to the fender, the rear passenger is about 0.5” lower than the driver’s side.
Anyone have a similar experience or have any helpful info on what to do next? I know I can just swap to coils and be done with it but I’m interested in understanding the actual problem/s in case I can fix it for even less.
I have a similar issue on my Wisconsin GX470. The height sensors are so corroded they do not work. One has the bracket broken off and is hanging by the linake and wiring. Luckily it appears to have corroded into the Normal position so the vehicle maintains that level. When I bought it a few weeks ago I tested the High level and it jacked up so high it looked freakish. I am lucky I got it back down. More than likely the electronic shocks and struts are bad also. I bought an Eibach Stage 1 kit and I will be replacing the old system soon.

I have a similar issue on my Wisconsin GX470. The height sensors are so corroded they do not work. One has the bracket broken off and is hanging by the linake and wiring. Luckily it appears to have corroded into the Normal position so the vehicle maintains that level. When I bought it a few weeks ago I tested the High level and it jacked up so high it looked freakish. I am lucky I got it back down. More than likely the electronic shocks and struts are bad also. I bought an Eibach Stage 1 kit and I will be replacing the old system soon.
I may just end up swapping as well but I can’t put a lift on it or it literally won’t fit in my garage, so I have to look into kits that keep the stock height.

I may just end up swapping as well but I can’t put a lift on it or it literally won’t fit in my garage, so I have to look into kits that keep the stock height.
Lots of stock-height Coil conversion options out there, y'all. You can buy a coil conversion kit or even make one from rubber or neoprene caster wheels. Then rip out the airbags and compressor and throw stock height springs in. I had to use 4runner springs in an airbag fail emergency. They were a little lower than stock, but FJ Cruiser springs may be just right. They are lying around almost any junkyard you can run across, with the upper isolators available too, for very little 💵💵.

Lots of stock-height Coil conversion options out there, y'all. You can buy a coil conversion kit or even make one from rubber or neoprene caster wheels. Then rip out the airbags and compressor and throw stock height springs in. I had to use 4runner springs in an airbag fail emergency. They were a little lower than stock, but FJ Cruiser springs may be just right. They are lying around almost any junkyard you can run across, with the upper isolators available too, for very little 💵💵.
Thanks. I’ve been looking at metaltech’s conversion kit. The shocks aren’t leaking, so I think I’m good there for now. I don’t off-road since I live in Chicagoland area. The worst it sees are gravel roads and Chicago potholes, occasionally, so I don’t need anything too fancy.

I should say there’s definitely a leak coming from, or right near, the pump. The lines connected to the base don’t seem to be leaking.

Thanks. I’ve been looking at metaltech’s conversion kit. The shocks aren’t leaking, so I think I’m good there for now. I don’t off-road since I live in Chicagoland area. The worst it sees are gravel roads and Chicago potholes, occasionally, so I don’t need anything too fancy.

I should say there’s definitely a leak coming from, or right near, the pump. The lines connected to the base don’t seem to be leaking.
Sure thing, but you may as well come to the dark side with the rest of us and build a money-pit apocalypse wagon! The J120 platform deserves it and so do you.

Cheers, 🍻
20210330_155717.jpg

Sure thing, but you may as well come to the dark side with the rest of us and build a money-pit apocalypse wagon! The J120 platform deserves it and so do you.

Cheers, 🍻View attachment 3121220
What recovery point in that? I have the Ironman bumper too.

What recovery point in that? I have the10 Ironman bumper too.
Treaty Oak in TX. They come bare, but I hit them with farm implement enamel paint from Tractor Supply. It's straight bolt on with IM bumper. Good kit, and I think a fair price.

16639435149312537287644265842210.jpg

16639435729802141209987236524303.jpg

Come and see........life is better w/o airbags and inches of lift.

Come and see........life is better w/o airbags and inches of lift.
Haha ended up going with the metal tech 4x4 conversion kit and some FJ Cruiser trail team springs from O’Reilly’s. I can’t put a lift on it or it won’t fit in my garage but I’m happy with the result. Looks like stock height and it’s just about as comfortable as the bags.

Haha ended up going with the metal tech 4x4 conversion kit and some FJ Cruiser trail team springs from O’Reilly’s. I can’t put a lift on it or it won’t fit in my garage but I’m happy with the result. Looks like stock height and it’s just about as comfortable as the bags.
Ok we met in the middle, I like that. I never had a chance. I might fit in a 5 panel garage but not my 4. I’m 6’10.5”……parking garages are how I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom