GX470 Black Headlight / Foglight Housing DIY (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a black GX and after blacking out the grill the one thing that bothered me a lot was the chrome/white headlights and fog lights which really stood out. My headlights weren’t in great condition but they were good enough to make me want to try painting before spending $$ on the depos. Didn’t take too many photos of the process but it’s pretty straightforward. Here are the steps, and photos at the bottom.

Items Used:
Duplicolor Adhesion Promotor
VHT High Temp Plastic Paint - Black Satin (For the main housing)
VHT NiteShade (optional, for the amber reflector)
800 Grit Sandpaper
Butyl Tape (for resealing headlights)

1.Remove headlights and fog lights. Fog lights are super easy to remove, just one 10mm bolt.

2. Open the headlights. I followed that video, nothing special or different with the GX headlights. First I removed the main bulbs and then all the screws on the back. The fog lights have no screws to remove. Then put them in the oven at 230F for 10 minutes or so. Sounds sketchy, but the temps low enough to not cause damage and only melt the OEM seal enough to open the housing. Use a flat head screw driver and pry it open. Once you get part of it free, the rest will tear open. As soon as you get them open, put the plastic lens in trash bags so no debris gets inside them. Also be careful not to touch the inside. Don’t try to clean it either, you’ll ruin the UV coating and spend a lot of time redoing it. Keep in the trash bags until the very end when you’re ready to reassemble the headlights.

3. Tape off everything. Optional step, but I taped off the chrome circles just around the lights. Makes a big difference in the final look. I also taped off the edge of the fog lights outside chrome housing, and the inner part with the light which I left chrome.

4. Sand off the chrome, I just roughed it up a bit so the new paint will stick better. Didn’t fully remove all the chrome or anything.

5. Wipe the headlights clean with alcohol and then after it dries, spray the adhesion promoter. Then you are ready to paint! I did around 4-5 coats. Afterwards, it’s important to let it cure before you seal them back up so gases won’t cause the lights to fog up. Some people say to wait a week but I couldn’t wait that long so I did 48 hours. I hope it was long enough. Oh, I also sprayed the amber reflector with VHT nite shade to tint it a bit, but it’s optional. Mine came out very dark which was accidental, I’d recommend only doing one or two coats if you wanna be fully legal. If you don’t care, go darker.

6. Reseal the headlights and fog lights. Apply butyl tape over the old seal and then put them in the oven again at 230 for about 10-15 minutes. Some people say you can reuse the old butyl but I wouldn’t risk it as it’ll be uneven and there may be leaks. This was the hardest part for me, I had to keep putting them back in the oven while I pushed the housing together before it cooled off enough. It’s much easier when the butyl has properly melted. Afterwards just put the screws back in, reinstall, and you’re done! Overall pretty happy with how they came out. Not perfect but pretty good for a couple afternoons.

49ABB94A-825B-41E0-BCF1-3E4A0C3AEAA0.jpeg
97F3AC70-D91F-4BC7-89A6-5D028C10C5D9.jpeg
70C17303-4B57-47F5-BFC5-B3CB2056EBFA.jpeg

34D0CAA0-27CE-4A12-960A-D69CF38CF378.jpeg

67EE2417-6F8B-4DD5-A86C-D64A23B087AA.jpeg

More photos below...

Last edited:
Looks like a great result! Kudos for the writeup.

absolutely will do. also, thanks for indirectly leading me to that bumper. wouldn't have found that if not for looking at blacked out headlights. thinking that might be the one since metaltech doesn't list the raven anymore.

Has anyone tried this and had good luck? I think I'm going to give it a shot soon. Curious if this affects actual lighting efficiency or not.

Has anyone tried this and had good luck? I think I'm going to give it a shot soon. Curious if this affects actual lighting efficiency or not.
I mean I tried it… didn’t notice a difference in the output. The Gx has projector lights not reflector so there really shouldn’t be a decrease. BX Built sells custom lights doing the same method I’m pretty sure.

Last edited:
I did it on my 2007. Light still work great, as the actual beam comes from the projector, and the chrome backing doesn't provide any actual functionality to the light. See my build thread for additional pics. I love how it look and it's a cheap/easy mod.

Right on, thanks guys. I'll add this to my to-do list for this weekend :)

Just finished mine as well with the same method. I actually baked mine at 280 for ~10 minutes and I was able to pry it apart with just my hands. Added some halos while I was in there and the xenon depot hid kit. I didn't feel the need to switch the projectors and pretty happy with the light output. I honestly don't think its necessary unless you really want that defined cutoff line.

20211209_154547.jpg

These all look great.

Did any of you replace the lenses with new or re-use the existing? I am interested in doing this but my stock lenses are micro cracked and can’t be fixed with polishing. This is a cheaper and different aesthetic option than buying OEM sport lights.

@iamacrestkid do you have more info on the Halos?

@Toyoland66 I got them on theretrofitsource. They are the halo switchbacks on their site. Just fyi...I did have to modify my existing shrouds to get the back lighted effect which I prefer over the front mounted halos.

Also, in regards to your other question I used my existing lenses. They were in pretty bad shape as well but I just used some cerakote headlight cleaner but we'll see how it looks in the long term. I figured I would just re-do it again if it yellows out again. Here is how it looked before just for reference.

20211116_184622.jpg

I have a black GX and after blacking out the grill the one thing that bothered me a lot was the chrome/white headlights and fog lights which really stood out. My headlights weren’t in great condition but they were good enough to make me want to try painting before spending $$ on the depos. Didn’t take too many photos of the process but it’s pretty straightforward. Here are the steps, and photos at the bottom.

Items Used:
Duplicolor Adhesion Promotor
VHT High Temp Plastic Paint - Black Satin (For the main housing)
VHT NiteShade (optional, for the amber reflector)
800 Grit Sandpaper
Butyl Tape (for resealing headlights)

1.Remove headlights and fog lights. Fog lights are super easy to remove, just one 10mm bolt.

2. Open the headlights. I followed that video, nothing special or different with the GX headlights. First I removed the main bulbs and then all the screws on the back. The fog lights have no screws to remove. Then put them in the oven at 230F for 10 minutes or so. Sounds sketchy, but the temps low enough to not cause damage and only melt the OEM seal enough to open the housing. Use a flat head screw driver and pry it open. Once you get part of it free, the rest will tear open. As soon as you get them open, put the plastic lens in trash bags so no debris gets inside them. Also be careful not to touch the inside. Don’t try to clean it either, you’ll ruin the UV coating and spend a lot of time redoing it. Keep in the trash bags until the very end when you’re ready to reassemble the headlights.

3. Tape off everything. Optional step, but I taped off the chrome circles just around the lights. Makes a big difference in the final look. I also taped off the edge of the fog lights outside chrome housing, and the inner part with the light which I left chrome.

4. Sand off the chrome, I just roughed it up a bit so the new paint will stick better. Didn’t fully remove all the chrome or anything.

5. Wipe the headlights clean with alcohol and then after it dries, spray the adhesion promoter. Then you are ready to paint! I did around 4-5 coats. Afterwards, it’s important to let it cure before you seal them back up so gases won’t cause the lights to fog up. Some people say to wait a week but I couldn’t wait that long so I did 48 hours. I hope it was long enough. Oh, I also sprayed the amber reflector with VHT nite shade to tint it a bit, but it’s optional. Mine came out very dark which was accidental, I’d recommend only doing one or two coats if you wanna be fully legal. If you don’t care, go darker.

6. Reseal the headlights and fog lights. Apply butyl tape over the old seal and then put them in the oven again at 230 for about 10-15 minutes. Some people say you can reuse the old butyl but I wouldn’t risk it as it’ll be uneven and there may be leaks. This was the hardest part for me, I had to keep putting them back in the oven while I pushed the housing together before it cooled off enough. It’s much easier when the butyl has properly melted. Afterwards just put the screws back in, reinstall, and you’re done! Overall pretty happy with how they came out. Not perfect but pretty good for a couple afternoons.

View attachment 2454003View attachment 2454004View attachment 2454005
View attachment 2454007
View attachment 2454022
More photos below...
I did the same thing in a Saturday morning. I chose not ti keep any chrome at all to go for a more cohesive blue and black theme. Your work and spray job look immaculate! amazing work.

36DF685D-CFFD-4A00-9B54-48F3D2D4241E.jpeg

FA909A80-DCBA-4A8B-B50B-A169EC7F63F2.jpeg

These all look great.

Did any of you replace the lenses with new or re-use the existing? I am interested in doing this but my stock lenses are micro cracked and can’t be fixed with polishing. This is a cheaper and different aesthetic option than buying OEM sport lights.

@iamacrestkid do you have more info on the Halos?
Honestly mine were in worse shape than his and I saved the money and bought a milwaukee buffing tool kit and a headlight restoration kit for total about $150. My headlights look like ***nnn glass. Do what works for you though

Honestly mine were in worse shape than his and I saved the money and bought a milwaukee buffing tool kit and a headlight restoration kit for total about $150. My headlights look like f***nnn glass. Do what works for you though
I already buffed mine out once and that was last summer. They are cracked and buffing can’t fix that.

I am tempted to gamble on new lenses but they’re only available from China so it could be a $200 loss if they don’t work, these are what I’m looking at:

I already buffed mine out once and that was last summer. They are cracked and buffing can’t fix that.

I am tempted to gamble on new lenses but they’re only available from China so it could be a $200 loss if they don’t work, these are what I’m looking at:
Dang really? Like how cracked?? I had talked to a guy that bought those and they were good for about a year. If you have to replace get some DEPO ones off eBay. If you’re talking like micro cracks in the plastic, mine has that too but you can barely see them after the restore

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom