GX460 wheel and tire combo advice (I love this wheel but not sure if it will fit) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been obsessing over wheels for months, have collected hundreds of GX and 4runner wheel pics, and finally found a wheel that I really like. Problem is it's 9" wide with -12 offset, and I've got a 2" lift and want to run 265/70/R17 so I can keep the spare in the stock spare well. Any salty GX'ers care to lend me your advice as to (1) how much rubbing I should expect (2) is there a real downside to a 9" rim and a 265 tire, and (3) should I just let go and find another wheel even though this one completes me, fills a hole in my heart, and is sure to help me reach my full potential as a human being? I've attached pics of the wheel and also a tire calculator comparison between the OEM and the proposed new wheel/tire combo.

I have looked at the GXOR Wheel & Tire Database [GX Offroad]
but only saw two 9" rims and both with much larger tires. Thanks in advance!

wheels 1.png

Wheels 2.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 3.32.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 3.32.48 PM.png

First off, I suggest you call GX'ers Anonymous at 555-GXADDICT. They will be able to help you recover if you can't get those wheels.
Secondly, just speaking off-road, a narrower wheel helps keep a tire from popping a bead off the rim when aired down to less than 15 psi. A wider rim will be more incline to blow a tire bead off the rim when aired that low.
Not sure how it'll look but try to avoid the bulging sidewalls. Not safe, not attractive.
Suggestion, how about a sightly wider, smaller O.D. tire? It'll fill the rim, less chance of rubbing and for sure it'll still fit in the stock spare location!

First off, I suggest you call GX'ers Anonymous at 555-GXADDICT. They will be able to help you recover if you can't get those wheels.
Secondly, just speaking off-road, a narrower wheel helps keep a tire from popping a bead off the rim when aired down to less than 15 psi. A wider rim will be more incline to blow a tire bead off the rim when aired that low.
Not sure how it'll look but try to avoid the bulging sidewalls. Not safe, not attractive.
Suggestion, how about a sightly wider, smaller O.D. tire? It'll fill the rim, less chance of rubbing and for sure it'll still fit in the stock spare location!

Thanks, I'll look into going wider. That said, I was hoping to keep the tire to 265 as I assume the increased contact patch/friction of a 275 will drive the fuel efficiency down a bit. I want it all!

My 0.02 a 10” tire on a 9” rim will be fine for 99% of your travels...but yeah don’t get excited about airing it down much.

I would stick with 7 or 7.5 inch wheels for these tires. I’m running 8 inch wheel with 315 on my 80 and I know people who even used 7.5 inch wheels with 37s with no issues. 10 inch tires might be too narrow for a 9 inch wheel, check manufacturer specs. Might work if your definition or airing down is 25psi

Last edited:
Thanks to all for your input. I ended up where I started off, at FN Wheels. Picked up my Six Shooters in Graphite Gunmetallic this afternoon. Dustin also had a set of Machined Face w/ Graphite accents and those looked just as nice against the Knights Armor Pearl, so I went with Dustin's preference to break the tie.

For those on the same path, Dustin is super reliable, bends over backwards for us OCD types, and sets the standard for small business customer service. The wheels are high-quality but Dustin takes the whole experience up a notch. Now that I know what he's about, I'd say that if you are stuck deciding between another brand of wheel and his -- even if you like the look of the other brand a little better -- give your money and your confidence to Dustin.

Also, I did a little more research on the Venomrex wheels I liked so much, and they would have required more modification to fit than I would have expected for a GX. Plus, as noted by some of you, they are too wide for a 265 that will occasionally get aired down.

Now, Falken Wildpeak P-metic or E rated....decisions, decisions.

IMG_1071.jpg

Good to hear you're on your way! Looks nice!

FWIW. I have Venomrex VR602 in graphite. 17x9, -12mm fitted 265/70/17 P-Metric Wildpeaks, stock height. Took me about 30 minutes of heat gun and massaging the plastic wheel well cover, no cutting. slight rub reversing at full lock only. I regularly air down to 18 and sometimes to 15psi with no issues.
2016 GX460.

Thanks to all for your input. I ended up where I started off, at FN Wheels. Picked up my Six Shooters in Graphite Gunmetallic this afternoon. Dustin also had a set of Machined Face w/ Graphite accents and those looked just as nice against the Knights Armor Pearl, so I went with Dustin's preference to break the tie.

For those on the same path, Dustin is super reliable, bends over backwards for us OCD types, and sets the standard for small business customer service. The wheels are high-quality but Dustin takes the whole experience up a notch. Now that I know what he's about, I'd say that if you are stuck deciding between another brand of wheel and his -- even if you like the look of the other brand a little better -- give your money and your confidence to Dustin.

Also, I did a little more research on the Venomrex wheels I liked so much, and they would have required more modification to fit than I would have expected for a GX. Plus, as noted by some of you, they are too wide for a 265 that will occasionally get aired down.

Now, Falken Wildpeak P-metic or E rated....decisions, decisions.
Those look sick!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom