GX460 Transmission Issue - Help Wanted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for some tips. Bought my 2011 GX460 with 145,xxx miles in December. I am currently at 153,xxx miles. I've loved everything about the car and have been very happy with it. Recently I noticed while driving uphill out of my neighborhood it would not shift out of first gear. This has only happened once and has yet to repeat.

With that being said, it is having some issues with shifting between 3rd and 4th gear. It has a hesitation that I recently noticed and is starting to happen more and more. It has also started hard downshifting in the same gear infrequently. I know that I definitely am having an issue with the trans but I have no check engine lights or anything to help me diagnose it. I talked to a transmission shop about it the other day and they said to sell it or replace the transmission because it is very likely to go out. I'm not sure how to go about diagnosing this issue and I'm pretty bummed out about having to potentially spend thousands of $'s on a vehicle I've only had for 6 months.

There are no maintenance records that show a trans fluid flush, replacement, or anything of that nature.

Any tips?

I am by no means an expert on this subject but I would say that it is likely the fluid has never been replaced so I would start with a drain and fill. The technique has been documented to death on here and on YouTube. Before I replaced the tranny, I would spend a few dollars on that and see if anything changes / improves.

I am by no means an expert on this subject but I would say that it is likely the fluid has never been replaced so I would start with a drain and fill. The technique has been documented to death on here and on YouTube. Before I replaced the tranny, I would spend a few dollars on that and see if anything changes / improves.
Meant to add this to the original post.

I specifically asked the transmission shop about doing a drain and fill and was informed that it would not help as the damage has already been done.

I specifically asked the transmission shop about doing a drain and fill and was informed that it would not help as the damage has already been done.
Like I said, I am no expert but I would not trust that statement unless this was coming from someone I knew had diagnosed this specific transmission before with the same symptoms.

Here's one video:

The shop also has more to gain from replacing the entire transmission than a flush and fill. Change the transmission fluid ASAP and see if that makes a difference, because what you describe sounds like an automatic transmission in need of new fluid.

The shop also has more to gain from replacing the entire transmission than a flush and fill. Change the transmission fluid ASAP and see if that makes a difference, because what you describe sounds like an automatic transmission in need of new fluid.
Thank you for the advice! I'm going to look into the process on how to do that.

Just a suggestion, find a transmission shop that has a really good Yelp (or whatever) ratting and have them do the fluid change.
If they're the ones doing the change, they can get a firsthand look at exactly what's coming out of your trans that you may not be aware of since it sounds like this would be a project new to you. Their "expert" eyes should be able to see if there there is grit, particulate, etc in your fluid that may make your tranny bad.
Or if the fluid is smooth and just dirty, that may be all it needs, just a fluid change!

I would agree that if it is already having problems, the trans may be cooked. Changing the transmission fluid is preventative maintenance. If the fluid was overheated/worn out and already damaged the transmission, there may be no coming back. I concur with r2m above in finding a reputable transmission shop and getting them to look at it in more detail. The new transmission fluid alone will cost you $100 as a DIY if you use Valvoline Max Life, plus a pan gasket and filter. If you use Toyota WS fluid it will be closer to $160 just for the fluid.

If you do want to play around it it a bit more before taking it to the transmission shop, and have some basic DIY experience, I would drain and drop the pan to see what you find. That is only a ~30 minute job (using an impact driver to remove the pan bolts makes it really quick). Then you can look at the color of the fluid and see if there are any debris in the plan. You'd then need to add in ~4 quarts of new fluid to refill it, plus replace the pan gasket and filter. However, all that may tell you is that your transmission is cooked (if you find a lot of debris and the fluid is burnt). If everything is OK otherwise it might be inconclusive - and you'd need to go to the transmission shop.

I would agree that if it is already having problems, the trans may be cooked. Changing the transmission fluid is preventative maintenance. If the fluid was overheated/worn out and already damaged the transmission, there may be no coming back. I concur with r2m above in finding a reputable transmission shop and getting them to look at it in more detail. The new transmission fluid alone will cost you $100 as a DIY if you use Valvoline Max Life, plus a pan gasket and filter. If you use Toyota WS fluid it will be closer to $160 just for the fluid.

If you do want to play around it it a bit more before taking it to the transmission shop, and have some basic DIY experience, I would drain and drop the pan to see what you find. That is only a ~30 minute job (using an impact driver to remove the pan bolts makes it really quick). Then you can look at the color of the fluid and see if there are any debris in the plan. You'd then need to add in ~4 quarts of new fluid to refill it, plus replace the pan gasket and filter. However, all that may tell you is that your transmission is cooked (if you find a lot of debris and the fluid is burnt). If everything is OK otherwise it might be inconclusive - and you'd need to go to the transmission shop.
Thank you for the info, that is what I'm afraid of.
So far, the local lexus dealership has 1 star ratings. The local toyota dealership will not work on lexus's, and the only two transmission shops I've talked to won't touch it unless I replace the transmission. I have one more shop I'm going to try but I may be out of options soon..

So far, the local lexus dealership has 1 star ratings. The local toyota dealership will not work on lexus's, and the only two transmission shops I've talked to won't touch it unless I replace the transmission. I have one more shop I'm going to try but I may be out of options soon..
If no one is willing to diagnose it, you might just do the pan drop. If you find burnt smelling fluid and lots of debris, you can then conclude the transmission probably suffered some damage and just have one of the transmission shops replace it.

For the price of a new tranny, you can drive quite a ways and stay in a hotel, even at $6/gallon, to find a reputable mechanic...

Always be wary of online reviews. They are typically left by people who have a black cloud that follows them everywhere they go. Look at the reviews they leave other places.

That being said where are you located? Maybe someone local can help you do the drain and fill?

If you do have to get a rebuilt AT... check out one from Lexus first... in this example it was cheaper than used ones and others rebuilt by independent shops.

Lexus apparently no longer sells new units and sells rebuilt units if you look at the fine print.

Last edited:
For the price of a new tranny, you can drive quite a ways and stay in a hotel, even at $6/gallon, to find a reputable mechanic...
If the OP drops the pan and finds cooked fluid with metal shavings they can skip the trip :). If everything looks OK I concur that a real transmission shop (not one that just R&Rs rebuilt transmissions) is in order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom