GX460 Lifts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's time to pull the trigger on a lift for the GX. I haven't lifted an IFS truck since my 2001 Tacoma. I'm not looking for anything extreme. This is still a daily driver/long distance hauler that will only see mild to moderate trail duty. The 80 is still my main wheeling truck. I'm looking for 2-2.5 inches of lift. I don't want to go any higher and deal with extreme CV angles, diff drop kits and the need for aftermarket UCAs. Based on whats out there for 5th gen 4Runners, the Toytec Boss lift is currently my top choice. I like the idea of adjustable coilovers. The Sway-A-Ways I had worked very well on my Tacoma. An Icon kit is tempting, but probably overkill for what I need. Does anyone have any experience with these kits? It looks like Toytec uses Eibach springs? and some upgraded proprietary shocks with a threaded collar (an upgrade from their Bilstein kit). I'd run the superflex coils in the rear. OME has a kit, but it seems the lift height may be a little unpredictable based on the spring rates, and UCAs may be necessary to bring front end alignment back into spec. Any insight is appreciated.

'11 GX460 Lift

All OME is designed around using stock everything....the BP-51 is the top of the line, it'll give you up to to 3"".....just remember to buy the wench to adjust the front coil overs

Last edited:
'11 GX460 Lift

All OME is designed around using stock everything....the BP-51 is the top of the line, it'll give you up to to 3"".....just remember to buy the wench to adjust the front coil overs

The BP-51 kit looks top notch, but overkill for my application. I don't think I'll be utilizing the remote reservoirs or adjustable dampening enough to justify the steep price tag.

On the other hand, if it comes with a "wench" to adjust the coilovers, I might change my mind :D

The BP-51 kit looks top notch, but overkill for my application. I don't think I'll be utilizing the remote reservoirs or adjustable dampening enough to justify the steep price tag.

On the other hand, if it comes with a "wench" to adjust the coilovers, I might change my mind :D

I think the wrench is extra. :bang:

That being said I believe they'll be a group buy pretty soon that may translate into 10-15% off. I have a price for the regular OME stuff in the $700 range from 4wheel Parts.

Following this thread as I plan to use the GX the same way as the OP. Although frankly I am a noob to suspension systems so dont completely understand things like "adjustable coilovers", "Sway-A-Ways", "proprietary shocks with a threaded collar" and what does it mean for a truck.

My education continues :)

Anyone removed the adjustable height for a lift? Debating lifting mine. Any extra parts involved?

That being said I believe they'll be a group buy pretty soon that may translate into 10-15% off. I have a price for the regular OME stuff in the $700 range from 4wheel Parts.

The cheapest I've seen the BP-51 kit is around $2800. That is a lot of coin.

The regular OME kit is very appealing for the cost. I have been pleased with their stuff on my 80. Getting the right spring rates seems to be the hardest part. Based on the OME specs for the 150 prado and what the 4runner guys are running, the 885 (medium load) in the front would probably work best for the weight of our V8. I'd run superflex coils or maybe the 889s in the rear. This was my top choice until I saw you can get the BOSS adjustable coilover kit for $1300. Not sure this translates into better ride, but definitely better fine tuning of the height without dealing with trim packers/coil spacers. I may still end up going with the OME coils. It might be the best bang for the buck? I talked to the guys at Rocky Road and apparently one of the employees is about to put them on his GX470. I need to call them back and get some follow up.

Anyone removed the adjustable height for a lift? Debating lifting mine. Any extra parts involved?

If you have the rear airbags, I believe MetalTech sells a conversion kit so you can run regular coils.

Following this thread as I plan to use the GX the same way as the OP. Although frankly I am a noob to suspension systems so dont completely understand things like "adjustable coilovers", "Sway-A-Ways", "proprietary shocks with a threaded collar" and what does it mean for a truck.

My education continues :)

You'll get, its sometimes a little confusing... Welcome BTW!

The cheapest I've seen the BP-51 kit is around $2800. That is a lot of coin.

The regular OME kit is very appealing for the cost. I have been pleased with their stuff on my 80. Getting the right spring rates seems to be the hardest part. Based on the OME specs for the 150 prado and what the 4runner guys are running, the 885 (medium load) in the front would probably work best for the weight of our V8. I'd run superflex coils or maybe the 889s in the rear. This was my top choice until I saw you can get the BOSS adjustable coilover kit for $1300. Not sure this translates into better ride, but definitely better fine tuning of the height without dealing with trim packers/coil spacers. I may still end up going with the OME coils. It might be the best bang for the buck? I talked to the guys at Rocky Road and apparently one of the employees is about to put them on his GX470. I need to call them back and get some follow up.

I think if you get the Boss kit you need UCA's? Even with the BP-51 or the OME cheaper kit you use all stock components. My first plan was to install the cheaper stuff...run it a couple of years, then go for the better stuff. My truck is primarily a commuter vehicle, 90-100 miles a day, so although I want it function well on and off-road. For the 3 or 4 events I do participate in every year, I also tow to and from these.....so making it there and back is my main goal. I pretty much stick to green trails, with an occasional blue.

I came across this database from the Prado forums. I think the GX is based on the 120 series?

Suspension Database

That's some awesome info....good find

I think if you get the Boss kit you need UCA's? Even with the BP-51 or the OME cheaper kit you use all stock components. My first plan was to install the cheaper stuff...run it a couple of years, then go for the better stuff. My truck is primarily a commuter vehicle, 90-100 miles a day, so although I want it function well on and off-road. For the 3 or 4 events I do participate in every year, I also tow to and from these.....so making it there and back is my main goal. I pretty much stick to green trails, with an occasional blue.

It sounds like we will have very similar uses.

From what I remember from my Tacoma days and things picked up on the net, UCAs are only necessary if you want to utilize extended travel setups (stock UCAs will limit down travel) or you get too high on the lift and can't get wheel alignment back into factory specs. People wanting to run significantly wider/taller tires on the stock wheels may need aftermarket UCAs too, in order to avoid tire contact with the UCA. Its that or switch to a new wheel with different offset. I don't think the BOSS kit is extended travel and you can set the lift low enough to keep the alignment in spec. Interestingly enough, I have read the OME coils could net you 3+ inches of lift that may require the use of aftermarket UCAs for alignment. There was debate about this when ARB USA did their 4runner build. This shouldn't be an issue for the BP-51s because you set the height yourself. Decisions, decisions...

If you have any specific ARB/OME questions, I could forward the reps contact info to you, and you get it straight from the horses mouth (instead of heresay from an old man who understands enough to be dangerous:eek:)

I thought the biggest struggle was getting the caster into specs. The other conundrum, is ARB is coming out with a new bumper for the 5th gens. Even though I'm not opting for the second battery this time around, I'm considering the bumper, OBA, which isn't real heavy, but that, and with the newer group 31 battery, winch (with synthetic) will probably add another 250 lbs....so I'm right there with you.....have no idea what to do until I see the bumper.

In the words of Pete Henwood, of Main Line Overland fame. ."buy once, cry once"

:beer:

"Buy once, cry once" - That's too true!

Well, after reading and rereading and comparing options, I've decided to try and only cry once haha! Adjustable coilovers is the way I want to go. Once you take into account the free shipping on the Icon stage one lift, it comes to within $300 of the Toytec Boss kit. I think I'll just bite the bullet and spring for the Icons. I haven't heard a single negative review of these things. People that have run both say the ride and performance is superior.

Do you think a new 5th gen ARB bumper would fit better than the one they offer for the Prado 150?

"Buy once, cry once" - That's too true!

Well, after reading and rereading and comparing options, I've decided to try and only cry once haha! Adjustable coilovers is the way I want to go. Once you take into account the free shipping on the Icon stage one lift, it comes to within $300 of the Toytec Boss kit. I think I'll just bite the bullet and spring for the Icons. I haven't heard a single negative review of these things. People that have run both say the ride and performance is superior.

Do you think a new 5th gen ARB bumper would fit better than the one they offer for the Prado 150?

Ya know...I don't..but the Prado color match bumpers are da chit!

All I know is after having the bumper and winch for the last couple of years...I feel bare nikkid ,and afraid to even go out to the store...I'm just another schlumph driving a 4runner...

Forgot you are in a 4runner haha! Forget my question about the prado bumper. Of coarse the new gen 5 bumper will fit a 4runner better!

I just had the adjustible Bilstein 5100's installed on the front of my GX460. I ended up going with the second notch from the bottom (0.85" of lift) and it netted almost 1.25" of lift. I didn't want to go really big on the GX, just wanted a more level look as it's my daily driver and the fiance is only 5'. She has a hard enough time getting into my CJ5 on 33's. Spacers would have been the cheapest option, but wanted to keep ride as close to stock as possible. When my crappy Bridgestone tires need replacing I'll be put on the biggest tire I can fit without major trimming and/or rubbing.

Before and After

Before:

After:

I just had the adjustible Bilstein 5100's installed on the front of my GX460. I ended up going with the second notch from the bottom (0.85" of lift) and it netted almost 1.25" of lift. I didn't want to go really big on the GX, just wanted a more level look as it's my daily driver and the fiance is only 5'. She has a hard enough time getting into my CJ5 on 33's. Spacers would have been the cheapest option, but wanted to keep ride as close to stock as possible. When my crappy Bridgestone tires need replacing I'll be put on the biggest tire I can fit without major trimming and/or rubbing.

Before and After

Before:

After:
I am not entirely familiar with the intricacies of the Bilsteins or OME. Any reason you went for the former rather than the latter? Also, any thoughts on the tires after the Bridgestones?

The only reason I went with the Bilstein's was because the price (paid like $150ish for them off jet.com with 15% off for new members). They are adjustable from 0, 0.85, 1.75, & 2.5", so down the road if I want more lift I can. OME makes some great stuff, just didn't want a full lift on all 4 corners. I was just trying to get rid of the rake and level the front end.

As for tires, I haven't decided yet, just know that I want a more aggresive tread than the Bridgestones. I also don't know what size I'll be able to fit with the front lifted. Stock you can fit 275/65r18, so hopefully I'll be able to fit 275/70r18.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom