GX460 Gull Wings project - Who wants a free set? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RuggedBound

Supporting Vendor
Threads
All right folks, we have had a number of enquiries for Gull Wings on our channels and the answer is: Big Country 4x4 will make them, but need a local tester for the first install & measurements (they are developing on Prado 150 platform).

Tester/prototype candidate: Must live in Houston-area. Must sign NDA. Must be reasonably available for measurements, test fitting and final fitting at various stages of the process. You will get a set for free for your troubles. Retail: Targeting $1100 for a set. Send me a PM if interested to be a tester!

Some FAQ's to get out the way:
1. Yes, this kit does require drilling to the vehicle. Mounting is via hinges set on tracks which are mounted to the body. This has several advantages and we understand that may be a non-starter for some owners. That is OK - we are making a product for a specific need.
2. Yes, they are 'sided". Passenger fits passenger side, driver fits driver side. They are double-skinned aluminum with a sided design.
3. They have gas struts
4. You can mount small items to them - you can drill through the panels and bolt MOLLE panels to them (not yet supplied, but watch this space) or just bolt up fire extinguishers, flashlight clamps, first aid kits etc directly to them. The hinges and structural connection mean they can handle small loads reliably.
5. typically you do need to trim the interior moldling slightly to make space for the gas strut connection to the vehicle. We try to avoid this in the design if possible - just depends what we have to work with re: OEM mounting options.
6. Any color as long as it is black. Kidding. If you want hot orange, we can do it at a surcharge (and a wait time - these are made in South Africa)
7. All the tracks and mounting hardware is custom made. The only off-the-shelf items are the locks, struts and the pinchweld rubber (obviously). . Everything else is fabricated.

I am attaching the Land Cruiser 80, 100 and GX 470 gull wing pictures to give you an idea.

Here is one of our dealers, Jason Harris from Ozark Overland Outfitters in Missouri walking through the 80 series version:
V110-Prado120-Gullwings-7.jpg
V107-Prado120-Gullwings-4.jpg

V106-Prado120-Gullwings-3.jpg
Capture2.JPG
Capture.JPG

Reactions: r2m
Wow! Great deal for some local GX460 owner with a second car!
Unfortunately I can't use them with my MOLLE rear quarter panels cover those windows.

Wow! Great deal for some local GX460 owner with a second car!
Unfortunately I can't use them with my MOLLE rear quarter panels cover those windows.
We figured the lack of gulls on the market would have many folks have opted for MOLLE walls instead. Our gulls will have internal MOLLE options - so you have a MOLLE wall when closed and a MOLLE attic when open. It will impact the weight limit of items put on it (gas struts can only lift so much) but it is completely doable.

Reactions: r2m
We figured the lack of gulls on the market would have many folks have opted for MOLLE walls instead. Our gulls will have internal MOLLE options - so you have a MOLLE wall when closed and a MOLLE attic when open. It will impact the weight limit of items put on it (gas struts can only lift so much) but it is completely doable.
Great forethought on providing the MOLLE panels! Just make sure they stand off far enough from the gull wing to thread the MOLLE straps through the back of the MOLLE panel.

Great forethought on providing the MOLLE panels! Just make sure they stand off far enough from the gull wing to thread the MOLLE straps through the back of the MOLLE panel.
Good feedback. What is your preference stand-off? The spacers and bolts used will be interchangeable so the important questions is getting the default offering correct.

Good feedback. What is your preference stand-off? The spacers and bolts used will be interchangeable so the important questions is getting the default offering correct.
I'd suggest getting a few MOLLE pouches, use some stand-offs (maybe try starting with a 1 inch stand-off?) with the MOLLE bolted to a board and get the person with the fattest fingers to try and thread the straps through the back of the panel. For the rear quarter panel MOLLE's, because the windows are recessed, there's plenty of room for getting one's fingers behind for threading pouch straps.

Looks like a few differences in body between 10-13 and 14+ affect proper fit of this window type... on this other brand anyway

Great info! Who'd a thunk?
Unfortunately, I have the rear quarter MOLLE panels so, unless I lose them, I can't use those gull wings.
And I really like my MOLLe panels, by the way...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom