GU Patrol steering box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Sep 25, 2014
Threads
105
Messages
3,277
Location
Gilbert, AZ
I know this might get me a life time ban but I was curious if anyone stateside or in the LHD community has done a GU Patrol steering box upgrade. From what I have read the GU steering box has a larger sector shaft vs the 105 36 vs 38, less susceptible to wear and leaking.

Looking forward to hearing opinions on this.
 
Yeah it is stronger.

Why do you want to use it? Are you breaking sector shafts in a 105 box?

Cheers
I currently have the factory one and going to install another stock box but want to update the next time around. I was going to have my current box rebuilt using the 105 stuff but if I can get the install kit and a GU Patrol box for a decent price why not?
 
Last edited:
My only reason to say why not is that it can only be had from overseas.

I don’t know if it bolts in, depending how much work to fit that could be another negative.

It’s a common upgrade for the Aussies.

Cheers
 
My only reason to say why not is that it can only be had from overseas.

I don’t know if it bolts in, depending how much work to fit that could be another negative.

It’s a common upgrade for the Aussies.

Cheers
Yeah that is how this came up, I was watching a YouTube channel and I believe Sand to Outback they were talking about it which in turned into a internet search for kits etc for it but could not find anything LHD 80 doing the swap.

Patrol GU steering box
 
Definietly looks like some fab time to make it fit, kit or not. Steering column splines look the same though (in pictures)
 
Definietly looks like some fab time to make it fit, kit or not. Steering column splines look the same though (in pictures)
The kit I added a link for is a gig and frame reinforcement as well, but for RHD cars not LHD.
 
The kit I added a link for is a gig and frame reinforcement as well, but for RHD cars not LHD.

It does say "We can supply Left Hand Drive please write in comments on check out."

Looks like a neat swap, but I rather be able to source parts locally in case of breakage.
 
It does say "We can supply Left Hand Drive please write in comments on check out."

Looks like a neat swap, but I rather be able to source parts locally in case of breakage.
Must have missed that one, thank you for pointing that out.
 
I run a GU patrol steering box on my 70 series, takes a thrashing and holds together.

There stronger than the GQ patrol steering boxs, a mate of mine runs one on his truck, he broke it one morning and we walked 10 kilometers back to camp, still drunk from the night before haha

Cheers
 
I run a GU patrol steering box on my 70 series, takes a thrashing and holds together.

There stronger than the GQ patrol steering boxs, a mate of mine runs one on his truck, he broke it one morning and we walked 10 kilometers back to camp, still drunk from the night before haha

Cheers
Lessons learned huh?
 
So, it's definitely stronger than an original 80 box, and a touch stronger than a 105 box, but is it stronger than a 105 box tapped for hydro assist? From a, "might as well while I'm at it," standpoint, tapping for a ram seems like a much easier path.
Ram assist takes pretty much all the load off the steering box. If you are going to 37" or larger tires ram assist is really a no brainer anyways. I'm still running a regular 80 box/sector with ram assist and no issues for about ten years now, 2-3 difficult (relative) trips a year
 
Can't say I've ever heard anyone breaking the 105 stuff.
I know anything can be broken, but if the swap to GU stuff is being done in off road racing circles in Aus, you're talking a whole different level of abuse.
Some of the Aussie offroad racing is done with some classes being basically stock 80s and patrols with roll cages, up to highly modified 80s and patrols.
Have seen loads of these with crazy crazy suspension and engine upgrades, and all running a whole load of stock parts being beaten on hard!
 
Back
Top Bottom