Grog & Jrob's Pool Builds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Where do I sign up to help, Slabsides?

Help is always a good thing! Bring your wood chipper, fileting knife, and a couple bags of lime.... Gotta love a guy who quotes Frost, but is willing to get a little dirt on his hands.

is the diving board gonna be one of his legs?
mr_peanut.jpg

Charles, I am thinking about 1200 bucks to upgrade the computer to a hand held dealio that does way more than the base model.

Thoughts?

Grog,

What does the hand held remote do that a base model won't do? Hand held remote to control your pool should be less expensive than a wall mounted control since there is less labor (no wires to run) involved in installing.

It would be nice to have a remote control to be able to control the pool when you're outside entertaining. We didn't go through this route because we didn't want to worry about dropping the remote and breaking it and we don't entertain much so wall mounted remote panel was fine for us. If I want to turn on the waterfall, I go inside and push a button the remote wall mounted panel. Another feature I like about the wall mounted remote panel is the ability to see the pool water temp.

Our pool needed only 4 stations (pool cleaner, high speed pump, pool light, and waterfall), but got the 8 station control box and remote panel. Brand is Pentair, model easy Touch 8. I will use the remaining 4 stations (120v relays) to control yard lighting in the future. Each station can be programmed to start/run/stop for any time during the day/week. This was an $750 upgrade for us.

When you're considering upgrades.. think about what you can't upgrade easily in the future.
Example: we didn't spent the extra $500 for an LED pool light. Went with just regular 500 watt bulb. The electricity savings was a non issue since we didn't use the light much. We also felt that LED technology was too new so you're paying a premium for something that will only get better and cheaper later. A pool light is easy to replace.

I would spend the extra $$ on quality and energy efficient pool equipment and other upgrades you think you might actually use. If you look at the big picture, what is an extra $2K to 4K dollars on a $50K pool? Get what you want and prepare to spend an little extra so you don't look back later wishing you spent the extra $$$.

I am not sure what I want on the controller except a fairly smart one that will tell me what chemicals/salt to add. I had a guy tell me he had one that "read" the water and told him exactly what to put in the water.

Light...whatever is cheapest. I don't care either.

No waterfall, no spa, no heater...this is about as budget of a build as you can get with a concrete pool.

It is raining today but they may be trenching for plumbing anyway. They are rolling hard and fast.
IMG_3073.jpg
IMG_3072.jpg

You got cha self a cement pond there Grogan!

Nolen,

I don't know about the product you're talking about. Do you have a pool store nearby? You can take the water in for weekly testing and/or buy a water testing kit for around $35-40 dollars.

What kind of water filter are you getting? Get a DE (diatomaceous earth) filer. DE is just ground up diatoms. DE filter is much easier to clean and maintain. Just backwash and you're done. If you get a cartridge filter, you'll end up taking it apart to clean it. PITA.

Our DE filter still has elements that you have to take out and clean a couple of times a year.

We've got the wireless controller and it's pretty pimp. Everything is programmed through that so you can sit in your kitchen and change the pump timers, speeds, whatever. We've got a spa, so it's nice in the winter to fire it up while inside and have it hot when you're ready for it.

The heater gave me some peace of mind this winter. Freeze control is done automatically by running the pump at low speed at whatever temp you want it to come on. Well, when we had temps in the low teens here, they were doing rolling blackouts for a while so no pump. I set the heater to keep the water above 40 deg to give a little more cushion.

I need to get over there and check yours out when it's done.

F it

Just build a skate park, that way you can use it year round!

:hillbilly:

After the rain we had today, I bet that pool is half full!

Lookin good Nolen.

They did not work on it the entire time I was in Moab :(

Julie called Tommy and got on that ass Thursday and they came back out Friday and Saturday.

Friday they did all the plumbing and removed a stump. Yesterday they started on the tile around the water's edge.
IMG_3209.jpg
IMG_3210.jpg

Last edited:
That damn Julie! Good thing you have her to do your heavy work.

What? no pictures?!

I think that guy like julie to yell at him... Does the toothfairy own a whip ..

Remind me again why Jrob's name is in this thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom