GPS recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Garmin GPSMAP 76csx here. Get a ram mount with it and it sticks to the windshield no problem. Screen is large enough to read driving down the road and the unit is small enough to fit in your jeans pocket.

I took it to China with me. Didn't have any maps for Shanghai, but turned it on, left it in my pocket and walked all over the city. When it was time to go back to the hotel, all I had to do was find the hotel waypoint and head that direction.

I like my Garmin 60 CSx. It has autorouting feature for the vehicle when you buy the City Navigator and you can also run Topo on it. It has 2 AA batteries for handheld use or you can use a 12V plug for in the vehicle.

x2 you can also hook it up to your laptop with a program called nrout and you get full size maping and voice that tells you where to go.

Another vote for the 60CSx.

love my Garmin 60CSx

Same here. Works great for both in and out of vehicle use. Very quick at locking on to satelites and works in places other GPS units can't get a lock.

And again for the 60CSx

I can't get enough as far as screen size, SO i run a Delorme setup off my Laptop.
If I went with a separate GPS Unit i would have to agree with Gary and go with the Garmin 7200.

The only unit that's intended for auto use that also says it is for offroad is the Lowance 480c Baja - but there are not reviews or decent descriptions of it anywhere.

The handhelds are great for hiking, but aren't much using for driving directions in town.

Anyone have any experience with the 480c Baja?

Peter

My Wonderful wife and son got me the Baja for X-mas, along with the additional software that I guess does everything but wipe you. It's probably way more unit than we need, but it sure is cool. I've told people I'm going to need to bring an IT guy along on every trip. Just got around to installing the head unit and antenna. The head unit is big, but I was able to tuck it right in front of the useless little "storage" thing in the dash of my pig. The screen is HUGE, which will probably be a big help when bouncing around on the trail. They sent me the wrong power feed, and am awaiting the correct one. As soon as I get it going, I'll chime in and give some feedback.

My Wonderful wife and son got me the Baja for X-mas, along with the additional software that I guess does everything but wipe you. It's probably way more unit than we need, but it sure is cool. I've told people I'm going to need to bring an IT guy along on every trip. Just got around to installing the head unit and antenna. The head unit is big, but I was able to tuck it right in front of the useless little "storage" thing in the dash of my pig. The screen is HUGE, which will probably be a big help when bouncing around on the trail. They sent me the wrong power feed, and am awaiting the correct one. As soon as I get it going, I'll chime in and give some feedback.

Pics too please;)

Earthmate PN-20

For those who have purchased the DeLorme Earthmate PN-20, how has it been so far? Would you recommend it vs. the Garmin 60 Csx?

For those who have purchased the DeLorme Earthmate PN-20, how has it been so far? Would you recommend it vs. the Garmin 60 Csx?

I recently got a pn-20 and have used it on 2 day trips on trails. It was right on the money. I have topos loaded into it as well as street maps. It can be loaded with satellite and aerial images but I've yet to do that. I've never had a Garmin so I can't compare. It is a handheld unit so the screen is small. I like it.

Just got a Garmin Quest2- and loaded Garmin Topo into it- the display is kinda small but it looks good so far- my .02.
Got it for $440 at PC Rush (not affiliated).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom