Going from 18" wheel to 20" wheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What started this thought: I have a 2019 LC and have a dislike for my OEM tires the Dunlops. Not a huge fan of the OEM wheels but that doesn't bother me as much.
The original plan: For a long time, I was thinking about getting the BBS wheels + KO2's.
How I use my truck: I haul my family around for trips around the state (mostly highways) and the trips to the snow. Weekend car if you will.

Recently I've been thinking about going with 20" aftermarket wheels and Michelin Defenders. Has anyone switched wheels from 18"s to 20"s? What are your thoughts? Why did you switch? What kind of tires? Would you do it differently? Pictures?

I did switch from 18 to 20 Lx570 wheels (13-15 style). Went with Defender tires which were great. As well went up in size a little to give more sidewall as factory OEM size 285/50r20 is too skinny for me. Defenders were 275/60r20. Definitely the truck felt better (less floaty) and more proportional as 18 felt too small. I have just traded the 16 for 20 LC and changed Defenders to KO2. Definitely lost on the road performance and got more noise but the look is much better.

What started this thought: I have a 2019 LC and have a dislike for my OEM tires the Dunlops. Not a huge fan of the OEM wheels but that doesn't bother me as much.
The original plan: For a long time, I was thinking about getting the BBS wheels + KO2's.
How I use my truck: I haul my family around for trips around the state (mostly highways) and the trips to the snow. Weekend car if you will.

Recently I've been thinking about going with 20" aftermarket wheels and Michelin Defenders. Has anyone switched wheels from 18"s to 20"s? What are your thoughts? Why did you switch? What kind of tires? Would you do it differently? Pictures?
Just my very humble opinion but unless you are just wanting to do it for the looks the 18"s for your application (highway/snow) will serve you better. You will also significantly increase unsprung weight on each corner with a heavier tire (K02) and if you go with a larger diameter overall wheel/tire combo than stock it will effectively change the final drive ratio. Bottom line, less compliant ride over bumps and other road impacts, worse gas mileage and decreased acceleration.

Going from OEM size 18" wheels to 20" 285/55r20 it is just .5" of sidewall lost. That is from 6.7 --> 6.2". Looks so much more proportional to truck size.

I did switch from 18 to 20 Lx570 wheels (13-15 style). Went with Defender tires which were great. As well went up in size a little to give more sidewall as factory OEM size 285/50r20 is too skinny for me. Defenders were 275/60r20. Definitely the truck felt better (less floaty) and more proportional as 18 felt too small. I have just traded the 16 for 20 LC and changed Defenders to KO2. Definitely lost on the road performance and got more noise but the look is much better.
Luke, would you mind posting a picture of your rig?

There are a lot of his on here. Just search under his posts.

Here is my recently traded 16 with Japanese spec OEM ZX 20” rims.

F90B2A73-31BA-44CE-8E05-F5E1E15EC9E1.jpeg
B1C5CBDD-B142-4EF4-8130-53AC389F7232.jpeg
54F47FB0-5A44-44B4-AFB2-281765367CFB.jpeg

Problem with big wheels (so shorter sidewalks) is if you ever need to air down for traction, it doesn’t take a very big rock to create a pretty nasty pinch-cut.

But if strictly on the street?
Meh... ;)

Last edited:
Problem with big wheels like that is if you ever have to air down for traction, it doesn’t take a very big rock to create a pretty nasty pinch-cut.

But if strictly on the street?
Meh... ;)

I have a friend from Boca Raton. He cannot for the life of him understand why we all run 17" or 18" wheels on a truck as big as a Land Cruiser. He thinks a Prius should have 22s+. :)

I too didn't care much for the +60mm 18" factory wheels with the subpar street tires. I initially wanted the factory look of the 18" TRD Forged BBS wheels but they are so expensive and many guys are adding spacers which I am not a fan of. Take a look a the Factorystylewheels web site and see what you think. My wheels are not the only ones or color they offer for the Land Cruiser. I went with with a more off road look with the KO2's and they bulge out from the fenders a tad. I have always wondered what it would look and drive like if I went with the Michelin MTX Hwy tires in a 285/60r20 or even a 275/60 or 275/65 20" tire. The wheel pushes out right to the fender so a tire that is taller and width of the wheel would look great IMO for a truck this size that spends 99.9% on pavement.
Good luck

I’ve seen those... it’s hard to trust the strength/quality. But then again I don’t know the true background of that company.

I did the opposite. Went from 20” on my LX to 18” tundra wheels. I think when I’m due for summer KO2s (or something similar) I’m to 17”. No reason at all to go to 20”

FA2F10FA-078E-4DBE-BC1F-7F1FEDE04A85.jpeg

Two ways to skin a cat.

More tire sidewall can be had by increasing the tire diameter rather than decreasing wheel size. For a big SUV like the 200-series, 20s are a reasonable fit with 33s and larger tires, that keeps a good amount of sidewall.

There are benefits to a larger diameter wheel. For on road handling performance. It has also been a solid benefit when towing heavy by increasing lateral stability against sway. With the right setup, 20" LT tires can still ride like butter.

LXtires1.jpg

I agree it’s a large SUV and 20’s can look really good. IMO 20’s on a 4Runner look ridiculous. I have seen them 285/60r20s with a good all season tire and that is the same side wall as the factory 285/60/18’s.
If it’s your off road weekend warrior you are using for over landing, 17’s all day. Family hauling pavement queen, 20’s all the way.

13E8D4AE-B66A-4016-8211-46753BE95563.jpeg

C8AC0164-545C-4B34-ACC6-10234E1DC2FC.jpeg

These are the stock 20” rims that came on our car.
285/50R/20 Dunlops (AT23 I believe?)

I agree it’s a large SUV and 20’s can look really good. IMO 20’s on a 4Runner look ridiculous. I have seen them 285/60r20s with a good all season tire and that is the same side wall as the factory 285/60/18’s.
If it’s your off road weekend warrior you are using for over landing, 17’s all day. Family hauling pavement queen, 20’s all the way.
Look good, no argument here. However 285/60-20 is 2 inches larger than stock and will definitely impact final drive ratio, transmission shift points, gas mileage, and general performance. I think the "best" family hauling pavement option is the good ole factory 18's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom