Going down the rabit trail with an 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1996 FZJ80 with 220k miles

I knew there was some sort of head issue due to the tail pipe vapor. My plan was to first try some blue devil pour-n-go which I first changed the oil for. The oil, though not whipped up into a froth did have some coolant in it so I also drained and refilled the radiator. I was only able to let the engine idle for 6-7 minutes and drove it around the block for 3 minutes before the temp started rising and I shut it off. Already in that short time period the radiator went from full to below the fins.

I am left to assume that with loosing that much coolant into the oil and having tail pipe vapor I have more than one issue. I am currently soaking the exhaust manifold bolts in PB Blaster in the hopes of first checking the oil cooler on the passenger side. Seems rare to have the oil cooler leaking and a head issue all at the same time but maybe one led to the other.

In tearing down the head, including having the head rebuilt, what have some of you spent just on parts as you replaced things that were wise to replace when its all opened up? (shy of rebuilding the whole thing)
20170430_185646 (576x1024).jpg

some ideas >
  • have the head magnafluxed to check for cracks while at machine shop (rare but possible)
  • send injectors out to be rebuilt since already there
  • good time to replace brittle heater control valve and firewall heater hoses (if still OE)
  • repl belts if needed
we have found coolant in the oil via a crack in the head vs the leaking oil cooler. Or could just be a really super blown headgasket. Best of luck sir!

FYI (hopefully not but just in case) If the head does have a crack and it cannot be repaired, I have a 1fz rebuilt head here at the shop if you need one. Its pretty darn rare so probably not....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom