So I did my front axle service today (well, a few hours today, and a few hours yesterday), and it's a good thing!
I just wanted to add another thank you to all the people here who've provided information on how to maintain our vehicles. Thank you everyone!
Some things I found that worked/didn't work for me, in no particular order:
1) Separate the birfields from the axles, whether you swap them or not (but then you may as well). It is much better to pack them with grease before you put the axles back into them. The grease does not get in the way of seeing where the C-clip is at.
2) I didn't break any C-clips or snap rings. Get more anyway. Better to be covered.
3) Marlin oil seals for the axle are the shiz. Get the tool too; it's cheap and awesome.
4) The trunion races actually do go in slightly easier when you freeze them.
5) The axles were easy to re-insert. Don't slam them in, but be deliberate about it.
6) The PVC pipe method for separating the birfields rocks!
7) The cages in the birfields are SHARP! Like, slightly dull razor sharp. I cut my fingers on them three times.
8) The zip-tie method for compressing the C-clip on the axle never worked for me. Yes, I had fat zip-ties too. A hose clamp did the job easily.
9) This job OWNS rags. Can't have enough.
Thank you again everyone! You guys rock!