Gears for 36" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What gears does anyone suggest to run with a 2F stock tranny and t-case with 36" swampers opn a FJ40?

4.88 with a 4-speed wouldn't be bad. If you have a 3-speed, you may want to swap in a 4-speed in addition to 4.88 gears.

It depends what you're going to be doing. A lot of low-speed rockcrawling my have you looking for deeper gears. In that case, you may want to do an SM420 swap.

I go down the highway just fine with stock gears and tranny and 36" IROKs. I actually like the lower RPMs. Unless you have a crawl box it will suck wheeling though.

The last time I had my rig running, I was running 34" TSL with a mild SBC mated to stock 4-spd/case/4.11. When I put my foot down in first gear, it felt like I could pull the foundation out from under my house. I can only imagine what the power would feel like with the power-band back into factory range. I think 4.88 should get me close when I go to a 36-37" tire.

4.56-4.88. depends on whether or not you drive to the trailhead ;)

Most of the time it will be offroad, the odd day to work, which is only 2 miles.

If it was me, I would keep the stock gears and look to a tranny swap or crawler box for the gearing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom