gas tank what years fit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kkt

Threads
Will the tank from a 71 FJ40 fit in a 66-67 Fj45 Lwb pu. I thought the size changed in 1970, anyone know the answer?

yes it will, but you have to bend over the rear lip. I just did this on my 66 lwb, bought new from Toyota stock (tank for early 70s FJ40) and it virtually dropped into the 66 FJ45 lwb.

I don't remember about the rear seam needing to be bent over but I do know the fill neck is at the wrong angle. The 45 pickups are about 45 degrees while the FJ40s are close to 90 degrees. A FJ40 tank from 1961 to 9/72 should be make to work with out to much trouble.

John

The rear tank seam hits the standing seam in the back of the cab......a lot.:frown: The front standing seam hits the tubing of the seat frame quite a bit too. And as John said the filler necks are different.

When I installed one of these for a customer, I cut the neck down just a couple of inches above the tank in order to maximize the chances for angling it towards the 45 filler neck.

Hth

Mark A.

Thanks for the info Tony and Mark, now I'm feeling even luckier that I was able to trade a guy a FJ40 tank for a FJ45 tank in perfect condition.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom