Gas tank question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not looking at the price of both tanks, which tank is better? A new tank from Toyota or the replica tank from CCOT. CCOT says the replica tank is made from galvanized steel which is supposed to prevent rust. What is the Toyota tank made from and would it do the same thing?

From what I've read here on Mud the interior poly tanks give off fumes ??? Not a problem with my nylon rear fuel cell, especially since it is not inside the passengers compartment- - -easy deal.

My poly tank (not Downey's fuel cell) gave off a lot of fumes because it was incorrectly vented. I found the correct venting diagram from the emissions manual and hooked up the fuel separator as shown, and no longer have issues with fumes inside (though, it's topless, which should make an impression about how "fumy" it can be with incorrectly vented tank).

Previous owner connected the separator's vent line to the tank's fuel return line. Carburetor didn't have a fuel return on it. And he had a clear fuel filter right off the tank, between the passenger seat and the center console.:clap:

I'm sure he had rust issues. And apparently didn't replace that fuel filter when he replaced the tank. :deadhorse:

I've had no rust issue. When I first realized I had a plastic tank I wanted to replace it right away. But with all the plumbing cleaned up I've kinda lost interest in getting that done.

Not looking at the price of both tanks, which tank is better? A new tank from Toyota or the replica tank from CCOT. CCOT says the replica tank is made from galvanized steel which is supposed to prevent rust. What is the Toyota tank made from and would it do the same thing?

I would assume then same as factory, electroplated galvanized in aluminum or zinc. My 68 OEM tank sat next to my house empty and open for 17 years and after I rinsed out all of the spiders, it was shinny silver inside and out. I also bought a 22 gal aux tank from Sunset Metal Fab in Oregon, and that guy was electroplated. Even using ethanol over the last few years and the tanks vented through the filler caps (in 68, no emission requirement on hydrocarbon fumes), I have seen no indications of rust.

Galvanized tanks, hot dipped or electroplated are the correct application when using modern fuels. I just wish my other old restored German cars were as thoughtful as Toyota, they all came with raw steel innards and when they sit through the winter, I drain the tanks and shoot with N2 to purge out the air. If I don’t, I have orange/brown fuel filters for the first couple of drives in the spring. One of these days I expect to see fuel dripping on my foot when I add first gas in the spring. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom