FZJ80 brake pad job maybe turning into overhaul (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Share pictures of the pins here. My guess is that you can hit them with a wire wheel to clean them up and then lightly grease them and roll with them ones for now. You can likely roll without/improvise the rest if I'm following correctly but I'd get it all on order and install it as soon as the parts come in, which will be easy.

Most of the work is mounting the calipers and bleeding the brakes. Get that done, clean/grease the pins you have, install the pads and see where you are as soon as you can. The brakes may work fine at that point or you may encounter other obstacles which force you to change plans as you've mentioned.

Trying to reach out to folks on the forum in your area could yield the parts you need also and I'd spend some time trying to do that also.

Hold on to all the small parts/pieces you can moving forward, and some of the big ones as well. Organize and store them as spares somewhere.

Thank you for your reply!

I only have pins for one of them. I gave the whole other caliper, with pins and pads back. I should definitely keep my smaller parts in the future.

I think at this rate we'll just work something out and I'll just try to wrap up the brakes properly.

I don't know how I can get the pins in time or

I rebuilt my front calipers with a kit and pins from RockAuto. Everything was high quality and has been working great for several years.

I'm usually a stickler for factory parts, but in this case just drop by your local auto parts store and buy whatever they have or can get fast.

Hey everyone.

It turns out I have two front left brake calipers. I probably should've just posted it here, but have this thread on that: FZJ80 front brake calipers: Are left/right the same, or no? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fzj80-front-brake-calipers-are-left-right-the-same-or-no.1301547/#post-14753180

I noticed that my left rear axle seal may be out. Although not sure if the axle seal or not, because it feels like a bunch of grease all over. Right rear seems pretty clean. I'm guessing I should bite the bullet and service that. Can I do just the one side? How urgent is it? It's a fair bit of grease all around the disc protector piece.

I'm also missing the rubber gasket pieces for the sliding pins. I wanted to get new ones there as I ripped the old ones on the way out. It turns out it's actually part of the caliper cylinder kit, which I did not order in my last batch of parts. Go figure. 04479-60030

I appreciate all of the help and wisdom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom