fzj fuel filter=lifetime??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If I Remember Correctly........ ;)

[quote author=Chuck_FJ60 link=board=2;threadid=5422;start=msg42879#msg42879 date=1063977799]
cruiserdan,

We have 88K miles on our '97 and I have purchased a new fuel filter and will try to change it out this weekend. Please tell me the best way to remove the old filter without messing up the high pressure fittings? Using flare wrenches?

Thanks,

Chuck
[/quote]

It's not a difficult job, but it helps to have small, womanly hands :). You might consider pulling the upper half of the intake to make it a longer, but much easier job.

Christo,
Can you post a pic or better describe which end gets the slot. I carry a new fuel filter as a spare and will cut the slot in the new one in case it needs a trail repair.

Would it help to slot both ends?
-B-

B-

I can show you when you stop by.....

D-

OK, Cdan, I'll bite. If my top end problem is caused by a lean condition, what are the causes and rectifications?
Cheers,
Sean

Hey Y'all,

Hadn't had a chance to change out the Fuel Filter yet. After having the #6 injector recently replaced, I figured that I better get it done, as the filter was just sitting in the garage catching dust in the box ;)

What's the consensus on the replacement procedure? Did most of you who changed it go from the top or from underneath? I will attempt to tackle it this weekend if possible.

Thanks all,

Chuck

From underneath without too much difficulty. Just kind of pain in the backside. Have towels availalbe to wipe the gas of your arm!

I changed mine the first time from the top. It wasn't that bad, and I don't have small, womanly hands.

Thanks guys,

I'll look at it from the top first, if that isn't convenient, then I'll try from the bottom. Hopefully, that would allow me to get the job done without having to remove the DS wheel & jacking up the truck. If that fails, then I'll try from the DS wheelwell. The actual job sounds very clear cut. I may even attempt the EGR valve replacement as I also have that part in the garage. Got the P0401 several months ago, but it didn't come back since resetting the FI fuse.

IMO the wheel well with the tire removed and the truck jacked up is the easiest way to change the filter. When putting in the new filter, be sure you don't drop the copper washers. Bob

Be sure to remove the gas cap first, this relieves pressure in the fuel tank and will reduce the fuel bath.

My experience 2 weeks ago is that you may need a combination of the 3. Take the wheel and skirt off for simplicity, and you HAVE to slot the filter...makes it a 10 minute install.

Thanks, great suggestions! OK, I'll start the work tomorrow through the DS wheelwell and go from there. Y'all are very helpful and have a nice weekend!

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom