Fusable links (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cool, thanks for the explanation!

96r50;

The positive side of the battery acts like the main power distribution point. the negative side acts as the common return for all systems.

Off the positive battery, the primary bus splits into 3 different loads. Each load is a bunch of circuits in the cruiser (The starter motor is a separate non-fused load). Each of the 3 loads is fused (called a fuse link). The fuse link is just a piece of wire that acts like a circuit breaker; however, it is very current tolerant. It is cheap and will take abuse, but will over heat and burn out if there is a real short in the load circuit.

I don't like the way Toy did their fuse links and needed something a little different, so I did this:

http://homepage.mac.com/dfmorse/BattProj2/page4.html

FJ80 and FZJ80 both use the same link, 90982-08164.

D-

Is there a new number, my local toyota guy cant find this and said this number is no good..?:confused:

90982-08264 is the part he finally found after much searching...is this the superseded part number.....correct?

Last edited:
Is there a new number, my local toyota guy cant find this and said this number is no good..?:confused:

I'll bet you can call Cruiserdan and you will get the right OEM part and a better price than your local guy. Just a guess though...

Dan has posted many times over many years that the p/n is 90982-08264 for the fusible links. His above post was probably a typo but he doesn't make many mistakes when you place an order.

-B-

90982-08264 is the part he finally found after much searching...is this the superseded part number.....correct?

That's a typo in my post....:doh:

90982-08264 is correct, not 90982-08164.

That's a typo in my post....:doh:

90982-08264 is correct, not 90982-08164.

Does anybody have pictures of what comes in this fusable link kit?

bump for pics.

NAPA, 16ga fusible link wire...

cut 2 8 inch pieces, and ur good

$4.99.. ;)

Has anyone replaced the fuseable links with in line fuses and new wires?

In line fuses seem a much safer, cheaper and more reliable way to protect this area. You can keep extra fuses on hand and they cost less and take up less space on the road than having to replace the whole fuseable link.

I may be missing something and it may have already been done. Just wondering why not to change out the fuseable links to in line fuses.

I do see mention of maxi fuses being used. The first generation Dodge Cummins have fuseable links, first generation going up to 1993. Most upgrade to new wiring with an in line fuse. Just seems more reliable, easier to fix on the road and safer and quicker to blow.

This has probably been discussed in depth but I just can't find it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom