Fully Automatic Factory Service Manual (FSM) Downloading (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PM pbgbottle here on 'Mud. He was selling the EPC on DVD a while back. AFAIK there are no Parts Catalog manuals available for our 80-Series, electronic or hard-copy (other than the aforementioned EPC). I bought a hard copy parts catalog for my LS400 from someone on eBay and it is very handy.

The EPC is better than a hard copy manual. It has all Toyota models and covers US, Europe, and Japan models. Search for his ID and you should find his thread explaining what you will receive on the DVD.

-B-
Thanks for the info

FWIW, I downloaded the manual fairly quickly.
I subscribed, opened the Service manual, then clicked on every page, and then closed it.
After about 20 minutes, I had gone throught the book.
I then opened a command prompt, navigated to "Temporary Internet Files", and used robocopy to copy ALL PDF's to another folder.
Yeah, very manual, but I have all the pages.
I somewhat organized them by sections in their own subfolders.
Next will be to organize by page order, and figure out how to search through them....
Will add more details later, if someone want to do the same...
Dennis

Dennis,
I think others will want to do the same thing if you can get the downloading finished within an hour or less. You should mention that Robocopy is not part of WinXP and certainly not part of the Mac OS. Does it come with Vista? Be sure to tell people how to get Robocopy if they have to have it. Can they use a standard DOS copy with a wildcard (e.g. *.PDF) or can they use XCopy? (comes with all Win variants as far as I know.)

Should they delete *.pdf from their temp internet files first?

How are the files named in their temp internet folder? If they have random names, then how did you approach the naming?

How did you handle other manuals like the EWD, NCF, OM, and others?

-B-

i'm watching this one close, per the parts guy yesterday @ Toyota; only something like 70 electrical books, and less than 20 of the FSM for the 1993 '80, once gone- not to be printed again.

if I can read his writing correctly, the P/N for the electrical book is 00400WD166, $13.29, and repair manual P/N is 00400RM301, $80.58 plus shipping. Your year will have a different P/N and stock level, 95 and up have three books, the repair manual is split into chassis/body, and maintenance/repair or something like that.

probably ought to go put those on the credit card next week if I can't source them off Ebay or the like......:hmm:

I have said this many times and I will repeat it once again. There is nothing better than the real live hard copy books. They are portable. You can browse them and flip pages back and forth. You can loan them to friends and/or your mechanic. Get the FSM and the EWD at a minimum.

The electronic manuals on TIS are PDF copies of the various manuals, organized by section (i.e. Brakes) When used on-line, there are PDF links to other sections that are handy and the links work. When used off-line (e.g. a series of downloaded PDF files) those links don't work. Not a biggie, but something to be aware of.

I like the electronic manuals because you can find the section you need for a specific project and print the overview page that has the parts drawing, the torque specs, and the step-by-step removal and installation sections. Once printed, you can take them out to the garage and get them dirty and throw away the pages when you are finished. Also, you can assist other Mud members by taking screenshots of sections they need and posting them in the thread.

-B-

Last edited:
i'm watching this one close, per the parts guy yesterday @ Toyota

Call the Toyota Materials Distribution Center (MDC) to order your hard copy manuals. They will get to you quicker and the price is the same or less than your dealer will charge.

From the TIS web site:

"Printed copies of all Toyota, Scion, and Lexus service support information can be purchased directly from the Toyota Materials Distribution Center or MDC. The MDC stocks printed versions of most Toyota service information products, including legacy model information that is not available on this site.

Note: Certain inventory items are produced in limited quantities and may not be reprinted or reissued once initial inventory is depleted.

MDC telephone operators accept Visa and MasterCard credit card orders, Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 5 PM Pacific Time.

To place orders please call 1-800-622-2033. "

-B-

because my computer skills may not be up to par ( they suck, i still type using 2 fingers ), i ordered the manuals this morning. i like to have a solid book to thumb through anyway. both books, the fsm & the elect book, cost just under $150 after taxes and shipping here to the denver area. cant wait to greece her up, (the LC probably cant wait either ). thanks for the number and info -B-!:cheers: Now maybe i can work out some of the kinks.

Just ordered hard copies, $104.54 for FSM and Elect book, shipped to Sacramento. Have a MacBook and just learning its operating system and figured too many issues trying to download right now. Only bad thing is Elct book is on backorder...
Update - Both (FSM and ELB) still on backorder and not sure when hey will be back (said another 6 weeks...UGH!) 24 FEB 2009!

Last edited:
Beowolf - In need of help!

Update - Just received another back order notice... Not looking good. Beowolf, can I get you to make me a copy???? Happy Easter everyone1 Easter 2009

Update - Just received another back order notice... Not looking good. Beowolf, can I get you to make me a copy?

1. I do not have a 1992 FJ80 and therefore don't have any of the manuals for that vehicle.

2. If I did have them, I probably wouldn't make a complete copy of the entire manual because that is a copyright violation, illegal, and unethical.

3. And thirdly, asking me to do you a favour and then misspelling my name is not kewl. The name is Beowulf.

-B-

Update - Just received another back order notice... Not looking good. Beowolf, can I get you to make me a copy???? Happy Easter everyone1 Easter 2009

1. I do not have a 1992 FJ80 and therefore don't have any of the manuals for that vehicle.

2. If I did have them, I probably wouldn't make a complete copy of the entire manual because that is a copyright violation, illegal, and unethical.

3. And thirdly, asking me to do you a favour and then misspelling my name is not kewl. The name is Beowulf.

-B-

a swing and a miss! :flipoff2:

hmmm gt4 it look slike I'm more of a newbie than you and even I knew it was BeowUlf. Shot down brutha.

I need to order a subscription and download this at work with high speed. Sure beats paying $100.

My sincere apologies to Beowulf

Quick update; called TIS and they found a 92 Electrical manual to run copies of, no FSM yet. At least another 4 weeks. They did suggest downloading from TIS!!!

I'm in the seat next to this guy on the boat. I'd love to get a hold of a 1995 FSM. I just bought one and the CEL went on two days afterward.

I 3, or 4, or whatever! I just bought my first cruiser :D, and it needs a lil work, ( to say the least ). I would greatly appreciate the easiest route to an FSM as possible. The more time and money i can save on repairs, the more time and money i can throw at mods! :clap:.

Still no way around the ASV tree that I am aware of but here is how to get the toyota site to play nice with firefox:

Confirmed using Firefox - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

How To: Installing ASV plugin into Firefox

Issue
How do I install the Adobe SVG Viewer plugin into Firefox?

Solution
Install Adobe SVG Viewer 3.03 on your computer.
Open: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\SVG Viewer 3.0\

Copy NPSVG3.dll and NPSVG3.zip from there to your browser's plugins folder.

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins

By default Firefox will use its native support of SVG and not the Adobe Viewer plugin. To change this:

In the firefox location bar, type: about:config
Search for: svg
Set 'svg.enabled' to 'false' (you can do this by double clicking on the row. )
This turns off Firefox's native SVG renderer thus leaving SVG rendering up to the Adobe SVG Viewer.

Still no way around the ASV tree that I am aware of but here is how to get the toyota site to play nice with firefox:

Confirmed using Firefox - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

How To: Installing ASV plugin into Firefox

Issue
How do I install the Adobe SVG Viewer plugin into Firefox?

Solution
Install Adobe SVG Viewer 3.03 on your computer.
Open: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\SVG Viewer 3.0\

Copy NPSVG3.dll and NPSVG3.zip from there to your browser's plugins folder.

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins

By default Firefox will use its native support of SVG and not the Adobe Viewer plugin. To change this:

In the firefox location bar, type: about:config
Search for: svg
Set 'svg.enabled' to 'false' (you can do this by double clicking on the row. )
This turns off Firefox's native SVG renderer thus leaving SVG rendering up to the Adobe SVG Viewer.

Maybe I missed something, but what does SVG/ASV have to do with the online FSM? And why Adobe SVG vs. native Firefox SVG?

Any word on whether or not this system will be working again anytime soon? Thanks for all your efforts on this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom