Fuel Pump Questions...

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by NJFJ40, Feb 8, 2004.

1. NJFJ40

NJFJ40

I just replaced the fuel pump on my 02/80 FJ40. The old one was leaking but I couldn't tell if it was at the block or from the pump itself. Put the new one on and no more leak - used two gaskets and the insulator. Also seemed to fix that nasty gas odor I always had after driving it. Sweet.

Ok - My svc manual shows a pump that has a removable pump cover. The one I took off which looked old and the new one I got at SOR (they says its OEM) and just installed do not have a removable cover - the whole pump unit looks to be two pieces crimped together in the middle. ANyway, I am curious as to how they wear and ultimately fail. So, here are my questions:

1] Could a clogged return line cause the pump to fail prematurely? Can I blow low pressure air through this line to check or is that a no-no? I am worried that, if the line is clogged, my new pump is going to fail again also.

2] Any other ideas on what causes these to go?

3] If I cut open the old one - what should I look for in terms of failure?

4] Any other ways to check the old one without cutting it open? Again, because its crimped together and not bolted, I don't see anyway to take it apart without cutting.

Appreciate any help and/or thoughts.

Andy

2. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    I think 79 was the last year of the rebuildible pump. Yours was prolly leaking out the bottom weep hole. I would expect if you opened it up that you would find the diaphram is leaking/cracked.

Personaly....why bother opening it up.....its toast, you got a new one, so you have no worries for a very long time.

as to why it starting leaking........its 24 years old ;)

3. NJFJ40

NJFJ40

Thx John.

I was worried/curious as the PO told me he replaced the fuel pump 1 year ago. I bought the FJ40 6 months ago. I didn't bother to check it when I bought it other than to know it didn't leak then. The one I took off did not look 1 year old. It looked original and the seals on the block did not look like they had recently been installed. So, I guess it really wasn't replaced which lessens my worries.

Do you know what would happen if the return line was clogged - even slightly?

Andy

4. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    no idea :(

[quote author=NJFJ40 link=board=1;threadid=11215;start=msg101629#msg101629 date=1076287397]
    Thx John.
    Do you know what would happen if the return line was clogged - even slightly?

Andy
    [/quote]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.