1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel Pump Questions...

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by NJFJ40, Feb 8, 2004.

1. NJFJ40

NJFJ40

I just replaced the fuel pump on my 02/80 FJ40. The old one was leaking but I couldn't tell if it was at the block or from the pump itself. Put the new one on and no more leak - used two gaskets and the insulator. Also seemed to fix that nasty gas odor I always had after driving it. Sweet.

Ok - My svc manual shows a pump that has a removable pump cover. The one I took off which looked old and the new one I got at SOR (they says its OEM) and just installed do not have a removable cover - the whole pump unit looks to be two pieces crimped together in the middle. ANyway, I am curious as to how they wear and ultimately fail. So, here are my questions:

1] Could a clogged return line cause the pump to fail prematurely? Can I blow low pressure air through this line to check or is that a no-no? I am worried that, if the line is clogged, my new pump is going to fail again also.

2] Any other ideas on what causes these to go?

3] If I cut open the old one - what should I look for in terms of failure?

4] Any other ways to check the old one without cutting it open? Again, because its crimped together and not bolted, I don't see anyway to take it apart without cutting.

Appreciate any help and/or thoughts.

Andy

2. Landpimp

Landpimp

I think 79 was the last year of the rebuildible pump. Yours was prolly leaking out the bottom weep hole. I would expect if you opened it up that you would find the diaphram is leaking/cracked.

Personaly....why bother opening it up.....its toast, you got a new one, so you have no worries for a very long time.

as to why it starting leaking........its 24 years old ;)

3. NJFJ40

NJFJ40

Thx John.

I was worried/curious as the PO told me he replaced the fuel pump 1 year ago. I bought the FJ40 6 months ago. I didn't bother to check it when I bought it other than to know it didn't leak then. The one I took off did not look 1 year old. It looked original and the seals on the block did not look like they had recently been installed. So, I guess it really wasn't replaced which lessens my worries.

Do you know what would happen if the return line was clogged - even slightly?

Andy

4. Landpimp

Landpimp

no idea :(

[quote author=NJFJ40 link=board=1;threadid=11215;start=msg101629#msg101629 date=1076287397]
    Thx John.
    Do you know what would happen if the return line was clogged - even slightly?

Andy
    [/quote]