Fuel Flow Meter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I will just have to run over to Woody's party today and ask him. I was going to go to the axle party BUT

'Some people have to work for a living, even on weekends'
kurt

www.floscan.com is where you want to look. You can get fuel meters that will directly display gallons/hour consumption and miles/gallon. Will also track total fuel consumed. Keep in mind if you want to piece together a system yourself that you need 2 flows sensers for a fuel injected engine. One sensor for the fuel to engine line and another sensor to measure the fuel returning to the tank. Then you get to subtract.

The floscan stuff is top notch, and priced accordingly.

Heating/boiling the gas.
On my fj60 the 2F motor used the exhaust manifold to heat the intake/carb. When the carb fan didn't work (it was used to cool the carb after the motor was turned off) the gas would heat up to the piont it would evaporate or boil off. Infact if you added header, there was a kit to heat the intake manifold with coolant so it would run right.
In my logging days we had a chainsaw that would get so hot that it would boil the gas. when I removed the cap to fill, I could see the gas boiling. It never vapor locked.

kurt

Kurt, your local marine engine shop will sell you a fuel flow meter. It's not the same as pulling it out of an old Caddy but it will not have the "airplane" premium.

Just the "Marine" premium :D .....At least the bilge shouldn't explode :eek:

Navman F2100 looks to be the best deal on flow meters. It reads gal/hr, gal used and low fuel warning. $150
kurt

Kurt,
Just be careful that it will work with the pressure from a fuel injected engine as opposed to the lower pressure of a carbureted engine. Also, with the 97 LC fuel injected engine there is a fuel return so usually the meter also needs to be connected to this line to account for the gas being returned to the tank. Otherwise your meter could show you flowing 40 gallons from a 25 gallon tank. :D
Bill

I will call Navman to see if it will work.
I was going to put on next to the fuel pressure regulator. Does fuel that goes into the reg. go back to tank? If so, its back to the drawing board :'(
kurt

Kurt,
On a 97 there are two hoses on the fuel pressure regulator. One is vacuum and the other is the fuel return hose. The regulator is screwed into the FI rack. Depending on the amount of vacuum the engine is pulling the regulator adjusts the pressure by returning some of the pressure/fuel back to the tank. If you would have got this hose and not the vacuum you would have been measuring the amount of gas returned to the tank. ::)
Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom