Fuel ?? 91 vs 88 octane ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In Utah that's our options......other than regular 85 for the Tacoma

What octane are you running in your GX 460 ? I'm @ 6000' elevation in Utah

Do you see a performance difference running 91 opposed to 88 ?

Just for the record....Costco (2 hrs away) 91 was $1.99 a gallon Sunday !!

what a deal :bounce:

87 octane RUG for me, not going to change. We usually have 87, 89, 93 here in Texas with some Shell and Chevron stations offering 91 as well.

Just seat of the pants evaluation, but I accidentally filled up with Regular and looking at the MPG on my dash, it seemed that I wasn't going as far as when I fill up with Premium. But again, it was just a seat of the pants feeling and could have been caused by what type of driving I'd been doing, e.g. round town, light freeway use, etc. On trips, I usually get over 15 MPG on my heavily overlanded rig.
The best way is to use a simple GPS app on your phone and go on a road trip. Fill 'er up and then mark how many GPS miles you travel to the next top-off. Then just figure out how many miles you traveled on that tank!

Not sure how I got here, older thread and all, but here's what some locals club members pitched me when I was in a similar situation concerning some german cars.

At higher altitudes, you can easily get away with lower octane than "required". Lower 02 pair with local octane equals out.

I'm at 6,000 ft so I contemplated it but ultimately, for me, my gas budget is a drop in the bucket for all my expenses, so I just use premium and forget about it. I also only drive about 5,000 miles a year though. Also, I couldn't even honestly tell you what our local octane scale is. I'm also the guy who refuses to run 0w20 in engines for a 1-5% MPG increase. I, minimum, run 5W30 for wear protection. So my priorities aren't always economy first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom