Front wheel bearings question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I keep re-tightening the front wheel bearings because they come loose after re-tightening them by the book. Yes I first back off the bearing nut before re-tightening this nut. You can just barely rock the wheel when grabbing the top and bottom of the tire. Are you supposed to be able to tighten this bearing so there is no play without overheating them? Strange to me that the rear bearings ( doing all the work) are always cool. I am guessing that heat from breaking transfers to the front hubs, that’s why they are usually warmer than the rears.
Thanks

I always hit my tires with a 5 pound sledge hammer then retighten and check preload etc. never have to retighten

Couple of things to think about:

1) Rears you won't feel play properly until the axle shafts are removed.
2) My front method is to tighten the inner nut to 50 ft lbs initially, rotate a few times in both directions and repeat several times. When the torque stays constant, back off and torque to 30 ft lbs. Then add the star washer and reassemble as per FSM. The FSM method simply doesn't work, especially on vehicles with larger than stock tyres, power-up mods etc.

Couple of things to think about:

1) Rears you won't feel play properly until the axle shafts are removed.
2) My front method is to tighten the inner nut to 50 ft lbs initially, rotate a few times in both directions and repeat several times. When the torque stays constant, back off and torque to 30 ft lbs. Then add the star washer and reassemble as per FSM. The FSM method simply doesn't work, especially on vehicles with larger than stock tyres, power-up mods etc.
Thanks, I will try that tomorrow

I also reckon these are a good upgrade too, more accurate than oem. Superior engineering also do a version ..Sharpe has some good ideas.

Thanks sodafeld1 for the info on how to check the rear wheel bearings. They were loose. I followed your advice on tightening the front and rear bearings. All vibrations seem to be gone, but it sometimes still feels like something wants to start shaking 🤷‍♂️ See how it goes. Might do them all again just for “fun”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom