Front rotor bolt recall/replacement

Just got a recall notice that under severe braking conditions the front rotor bolts may loosen and rattle and cause brakes to pull to one side. They will replace the bolts free of charge, labour 2 hours.
This recall is in OZ, anybody got a recall in the US or elsewhere for this?

spressomon

glutton
SILVER Star
Just got a recall notice that under severe braking conditions the front rotor bolts may loosen and rattle and cause brakes to pull to one side. They will replace the bolts free of charge, labour 2 hours.
This recall is in OZ, anybody got a recall in the US or elsewhere for this?

Not that I am aware of.

I just had mine changed, they told me the bolts corrode under extreme conditions, eg,salt on the road in snow, and beach driving. They have a world wide recall, so contact your Toyota dealer ;)

what all do they need to do to replace these bolts? if they are taking the rotors off, and i have to get this recall done, could i throw them new rotors to slap on free of charge?

No, 'cause they gotta charge ya to unbolt the 6 bolts that hold the rotor to the hub and to reinstall the bolts! That's gotta be a min charge of 0.5-1 hr of labor for the 5 min of extra work!

I believe 5 bolts hold the disc to the hub, these are the ones that have to be changed, the disc/hub has to be removed, so when they undo these bolts they can replace the disc easily, I would sling the service manager a few beers for the workshop fridge and get them to do it.

Just in case you haven't had your wheel bearings greased for a while, you may be able to use the same tactic to get them done, these will cost a lot more of course, but you still should save some labour.

No TSB or Recall listed yet with the US National Highway Transportation Safety Administration.

Any links on Toyota's AU websites ? or a scan of the letter ?

Mine is a 2003, don't know what other years are affected. In OZ we have lots (I mean squillions) of CORRUGATIONS, which loosen any bolt even if it's welded!!! So I expect the recall is more to do with the loosening of the bolts due to this than corrosion. Therefore the US may not get a recall. My vehicle came from the Araco plant.
My thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom