Front Recovery Points on Stock Bumper w/ Lip (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
19 gx650 luxury CPO
front & rear lip add-ons installed.

Is anyone utilizing the stock bumper & lip with recovery points installed? What setup are you using? Can a tow strap fit under the lip, without putting stress on the lip? Or a passthrough?

I bring my car on the beach. Its a little unsettling going on the sand without front and rear tow points.

Also, I'm planning to add a curt style rear hitch. Is this sufficient in the event of a rear recovery? This is just on the sand. I will never have the need to be recovered from a trail/ditch.

Screenshot_20240310_155602_Gallery.jpg

19 gx650 luxury CPO

Is anyone utilizing the stock bumper & lip with recovery points installed? What setup are you using? Can a tow strap fit under the lip, without putting stress on the lip? Or a passthrough?

I bring my car on the beach. Its a little unsettling going on the sand without front and rear tow points.

Also, I'm planning to add a curt style rear hitch. Is this sufficient in the event of a rear recovery? This is just on the sand. I will never have the need to be recovered from a trail/ditch.

View attachment 3578743
Can't tell you about the front but if you have a receiver you can pick up one of these from Amazon:
I have one on my rig and my wife has one on her 4x4 Taco. That will take care of being pulled from the tail.
You may also want to get a set of MaxTrax: https://www.amazon.com/Maxtrax-Xtre...fos.c3015c4a-46bb-44b9-81a4-dc28e6d374b3&th=1
And a small folding camp shovel. With all that you shouldn't need to worry about being pulled our nose first.
Also, if you don't already have it on your rig, since you didn't include what year you have, you may want to add Multi-Terrain (a very cheap and easy add) and Crawl Control (more expensive, but very useful in soft stuff, like sand).
There is an entire sticky post on just adding MT and CC here: 460-Add Crawl Control (CC) and Multi Terrain Select (MTS) to 2010-2019 models/all trims

I have the Treaty Oak style recovery points, and I don't think they'll do a straight pull without touching the lower valence. I had the regular non-sport one. They now clear since I've trimmed the bumper, but there isn't really a straight line out from there.

IMG_5545.jpg

Reactions: r2m
I have the Treaty Oak style recovery points, and I don't think they'll do a straight pull without touching the lower valence. I had the regular non-sport one. They now clear since I've trimmed the bumper, but there isn't really a straight line out from there.

View attachment 3579451
The problem with these low lipped front air valances and towing is that one needs the towing vehicle to have a very low tow point on their vehicle also.
If you get some guy in a jacked to the sky truck the angle from your tow point up to his will end up bending/cracking the front fascia. It would nice if there was something that protruded just outside, front of the lip.

Can't tell you about the front but if you have a receiver you can pick up one of these from Amazon:
I have one on my rig and my wife has one on her 4x4 Taco. That will take care of being pulled from the tail.
You may also want to get a set of MaxTrax: https://www.amazon.com/Maxtrax-Xtre...fos.c3015c4a-46bb-44b9-81a4-dc28e6d374b3&th=1
And a small folding camp shovel. With all that you shouldn't need to worry about being pulled our nose first.
Also, if you don't already have it on your rig, since you didn't include what year you have, you may want to add Multi-Terrain (a very cheap and easy add) and Crawl Control (more expensive, but very useful in soft stuff, like sand).
There is an entire sticky post on just adding MT and CC here: 460-Add Crawl Control (CC) and Multi Terrain Select (MTS) to 2010-2019 models/all trims

Crawl Control is AMAZING at what it does. I purposely got myself stuck in the sand at a sand pit not long after installing it and it got me out without much issue. Having said that, when you put it in the lowest setting, it makes all kinds of grinding sounds that will scare the s*** out of you. You will think you destroyed something it sounds so bad. It's just the CC doing it's thing. In any of the other 3 settings, you don't really hear anything.

@AntonV , unless you put in some kind of hidden hitch in the front and then use a receiver D ring, any kind of pull from under your bumper is going to damage the lip of that bumper....period.

Reactions: r2m
Thanks for the replies everyone. Just from looking at it, you can obviously see there is no chance for a front recovery point with that valence. I was hoping someone made a pass through with minimal modifications. All of this was a no brainer on my Taco.

@r2m - Thanks for the links. To be in compliance with the NY state park 4x4 beach/fishing pass, its mandatory to have most of those items (jackboard, tow straps & d ring, portable toilet, shovel, fishing gear, compressor, etc) Already have CC and definitely been planning the MTS module, after I install the beatsonic. Its a shame though. I like to back in (barn door facing the ocean), for trunk convenience and ease of pulling out.

@jdam - i love those Kenda tires. I have Kenda's on my BMW F650GS ADV bike.

20210501_181633.jpg

19 gx650 luxury CPO

View attachment 3578743

Is this the receiver hitch you are referring to from Curt?

Professionally or personally I wouldn't risk someone's life or injury to questionable recovery equipment. We recommend Van Beast or Crosby bow shackles. Why? They are rated and tested, everyone from the factory. USA made Crosby or Holland made Van Beast.

The receiver hitch recover point from Safe Xtract or Factor 55 have been rigorously tested and both made in the USA.

As for the front, good luck not causing damage to the front valance. If you are stuck chances are you dug down with the tires. Now even lower than street height you will more than likely have an angle up to the recovery vehicle. The recovery rope or strap will load the lower valance (bumper).

Mire factor is the load (weight) of being stuck. Mire factor can raise the weight of the vehicle being recovered substantially. Mitigate the mire factor with excavation (shovel), use the vehicle jack to raise the vehicle at the factory location and place traction boards under the tires. This will elevate the vehicle.

Numerous ways to recover your rig I highly suggest you take a recovery class with a I4WDTA certified trainer in your area.

If I were worried about front recovery points and also did not want to chop off or tear off a bunch of my bumper I would go for the LFD hidden mount. If you aren't going to run a winch, you only need to cut out 2 little sections of the lower valance for the tow hooks.

With Crawl Control and a decent set of traction boards (and also knowing how to use all that stuff and drive in the sand) it should be pretty difficult to actually get stuck on the beach where you need someone to yank you out. So you could also get the regular rated recovery points (i.e. Treaty Oak) and if you ever do need to use them just be as careful as you can with the recovery line and bumper.

If I were worried about front recovery points and also did not want to chop off or tear off a bunch of my bumper I would go for the LFD hidden mount. If you aren't going to run a winch, you only need to cut out 2 little sections of the lower valance for the tow hooks.

With Crawl Control and a decent set of traction boards (and also knowing how to use all that stuff and drive in the sand) it should be pretty difficult to actually get stuck on the beach where you need someone to yank you out. So you could also get the regular rated recovery points (i.e. Treaty Oak) and if you ever do need to use them just be as careful as you can with the recovery line and bumper.
I think this is a great idea, and allows you to run a winch at a later date very easily.
I have a similar item, made by HK Off-road, on my GX470 (they also make one for the 460).
It is extremely well made, hell-for-stout, and the immediate access to well-placed front recovery points couldn’t be better.
Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom