Front hub and bearing replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

re_guderian

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm at 176k, and recently developed the "when-did-I-put-Super-Swampers-on-this-thing?" drone/roar/rumble/hum. After blaming my Falkens for a while, I realized that the noise went away during sweeping left turns, but not during similar right turns. The Internet was correct in diagnosing this as most likely due to bad wheel bearings. The Internet was definitely NOT correct in diagnosing this when they said if the noise disappears on left turns it was bad driver's side bearings. :doh:. I had no discernable play at 6 and 12 on the wheel (or 9 and 3 for that matter} when jacked up, either side.

I purchased an all-OEM hub/bearing combo from Blue Pit Bearings, and followed their instructions, which are really good. It's a pretty straightforward job. Of note, local auto parts stores have slide hanmmers and hub pullers, but none of the hub pullers were quite big enough to fit the GX. You can also rent a 36mm hub socket and save a few bucks. Note that the actual hub nut is 35mm per my calipers, but the 36 worked fine, and online instructional videos referenced both sizes. 35mm seem a bit harder to source, but I didn't look too hard, 36mm can be easily found at AutoZone, etc. :meh:

So after installing and test driving, I found the noise still present. 😕 Fearing it might be rear bearings, I bit the bullet and decided to replace the passenger's side front ones as well. I hate "throwing parts" at a problem, but other than dimensional play, there's not much diagnostic that I could find. I also didn't want to just swap and reuse an the old set (doing 3 replacements only to have one set still have 176k on them), so I picked up another new set at NAPA last night. Got it put on today, and noise is gone, rolls smooth. Blue Pit uses Koyo bearings. Didn't pay attention to the bearing brand on the Napa ones. Both old bearings were NSK. Assuming OEM? Both old bearings didn't exhibit dimensional play when off the truck, but were noticeably loud, and similarly so when spinning by hand off the truck. Glad I changed them both.

Would be remiss not to mention how good Blue Pit's customer service was. As soon as I clicked "order" I realized I made a mistake, so I sent them an email. Got a response within minutes, fixing the issue. On a Saturday... Package was sent from TN to AZ 2-day USPS, well packed and included new o-ring and OEM cotter pin (taped to the inside of the flap). 10 out of 10 would recommend, better price than Bell Lexus, and you don't have to press in the bearings.

Pic for grins
20220527_134146.jpg
20220527_141431.jpg

Last edited:
Wonder if you MPG might improve a wee bit?? :meh:

Nice! My OCD would never allow me to replace only one of a pair of wear items
Are sure you're not wrenching on an 80 series? LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom