Front end noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry to start a new thread, but couldn’t find this specifically.

I am having a front end noise that just popped up, sounds like a LOUD low RPM air drill- clearly rotational friction of some sort.

No clunking or grinding

no loss of power

no loss of brake.

Sounds not unlike belt squeal, but much deeper and lower in pitch. Sounds somewhat like a hard rubber binding scream, but LOUD

Seems to originate when warm, from the front passenger side.

only occurs when in motion, independent of whether the vehicle is in gear. Growls to a stop when the vehicle stops.

can be induced by hitting a bump, but isn’t always the case.

No slop or slack in the drive shafts

No visible glaring concerns on the undercarriage.

front & rear diffs were serviced 1k miles ago, transmission was flushed at the same time.

I am at a loss- doesn’t sound like any wheel bearing I have heard. Doesn’t seem to be u joints or related. Doesn’t seem to be serpentine belts.

A few things I'd check right off:

-brake caliper bolts, particularly that front right
-grease level in knuckles ( you want 3/4 ish filled with moly fortified grease ) as the stub axle bushings could be talking to you

-lift each corner/wheel and feel for looseness at 12/6 oclock and 9/3 oclock, also put transfer case in neutral (chock wheels first!) and then you can rotate the tire/wheel to see if that helps
-look for loose items and/or wear indications like shiny metal and rubbed off paint around each wheel and the driveshafts
-check tension on both of your belts, if loose check the condition of the idler bearings (remove idler and feel for smoothness and tightness)

Hopefully one of these will catch it, meaning it's external and relatively easy to access. Those first two are my first guess but the above list is def. incomplete so you may have more work to do after working through the above.

ps, just noticed you are in Oxford. I'm down a lot, used to live there, etc. Bet we know some of the same folks (easy game to win in MS). I'll keep an eye out for your 80 as I don't see them often when I'm down that way.

Stripped drive flange?

Agree with @jpoole , lift it and spin each tire. You should be able to narrow it down some.

ps, just noticed you are in Oxford. I'm down a lot, used to live there, etc. Bet we know some of the same folks (easy game to win in MS). I'll keep an eye out for your 80 as I don't see them often when I'm down that way.
Thanks.
Currently eliminated the first two suggestions, heading down the list.

actually, my IH8MUD account is outdated. I grew up in Oxford, and frequent there, but now I live in Colorado.
My dad still runs around there in a seafoam green 1958 CJ5 and we have a 69 FJ40 in red that is in the process of becoming road worthy again, but will end up here with me in CO.

maybe this is relevant or maybe not, FWIW, I had a very strange front end noise a while back. IT had the same type of elements as yours.. I had a double cardigan driveline up front, some water got in there and the bearings started to rust. It made the oddest sound, and only at certain speeds while moving. I didnt possibly think this could be it as the driveline was only a few months old but it was .

Others have reported similar mysterious sounds and it ended up being the bushing, or bearing, whichever you have, inside the spindle being dry and/or worn. This is the bushing that the the birfield stub shaft rides in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom