Front E lockers for HZJ77? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I've googled and searched the forum and haven't gotten a conclusive answer.

Are there aftermarket options for a front E locker for the 77, similar to how you get them for say an 80?

If anyone has links that I have missed, sharing those would be great.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure an 80 series e-locker front diff will actually fit into the 77 axle housing with just a little bit of grinding and drilling/tapping two more holes. This can be done to the LJ78 front diff housing also. They're all 8". You may have to swap ring/pinion gears over is all (as ratios are different).

Here are a bunch of pictures of it being done to an KZJ78/LJ78. Looks like a sketchy link, but it's not. Has the best pictures I've seen of the job being done to an LJ78/KZJ78. Переборка переднего моста TLC78. Часть 4. Установка редуктора с электроблокировкой. — Toyota Land Cruiser Prado, 3.0 л., 1994 года на DRIVE2

So in theory any aftermarket kit that works for the 80 should work for the 77 as well...

Correct, 77 axles are identical to 80 from the diff perspective, lockers are interchangeable, but will have to figure out 24v electrical. I would say , air locker would be much less hassle. Gives you an excuse to setup an OBA system. ARB makes their air compressors in 24V.

Correct, 77 axles are identical to 80 from the diff perspective, lockers are interchangeable, but will have to figure out 24v electrical. I would say , air locker would be much less hassle. Gives you an excuse to setup an OBA system. ARB makes their air compressors in 24V.
That's reassuring, I know for the wide front 70 series they make e lockers, but i was unable to find anything specifically mentioning compatibility with the narrow front mid 1990s 70 series'.

As for the 24V, a simple buck converter would be more than plenty I think.

but i was unable to find anything specifically mentioning compatibility with the narrow front mid 1990s 70 series'.
The HZJ77 is not a common beast. Try searching under HZJ75, its running gear is the same. You would probably find the 77 mentioned more on Japanese sites

The HZJ77 is not a common beast. Try searching under HZJ75, its running gear is the same. You would probably find the 77 mentioned more on Japanese sites

You're right about the 77's being Japanese. I'm in the process of finding a Cruiser to import, and would like an 80 ideally, but seeing if I can accomplish what I have planned with a 70 series. Thanks for the input though I'll look into parts for 75's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom