Front diff question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Started prepping for a knuckle job today. After pulling the drain plug, I found this on the magnet. Any ideas? Bearing cage? I'm hoping one of you guys have ran into this before. Not sure if it matters but diff has an ARB air locker. Thanks for any direction.

diff.jpg

That sure looks like a bolt holding clip for the ARB. The clips are suppose to act like a lock washer. If remember correctly, the ARB is held together with a number of small bolts that go around the outside. They close up the " lid" that closes up the pinon gears. Now the question is, did a bolt come loose and that clip come off when the bolt fell down into the front axle housing? Or did the clip come off and the bolt is still in place?

I believe the only way to inspect it is to pull the pumpkin when you have the axles out when doing the knuckle job. Pain in the ass, but not the end of the world. If you go that far, I would suggest changing out the air collar assembly with a new one. You are right there, and sure as anything, when you get it all back together, it will start leaking.

Tough call. Depends on how well crap like this will keep you awake at night. Generally speaking, us dumb Land Cruiser owners are too uptight about crap like this. I know I am. Stupid Brain! :doh:

Last edited:
100% that's the retainer clip thing from an old-style ARB. You MIGHT be able to see those bolts through the fill plug?

The retainer just presses over the bolt head, so it's entirely possible it could have worked its way off while the bolt stayed tight. It's also possible the bolt(s) are coming loose. They haven't made that style of bolt-together carrier for quite a while....I bet 12-15 years?

Thank you guys. You are correct, it is indeed a retainer clip. So it's an RD23 locker, put in by SOF in 2004. Instead of a knuckle job I guess I'll be taking the third member off for further inspection. Guess I have a decision to make at this juncture. I can make sure all the bolts are in place and tightened to spec and call it good. Or while I have everything torn apart, do you guys think it's worth upgrading the older 3 screw model to the newer clip style seal housing? FWIW, my compressor runs quite frequently while lockers are engaged so I believe there is a leak somewhere in the system. Again, thanks for any direction.

Thank you guys. You are correct, it is indeed a retainer clip. So it's an RD23 locker, put in by SOF in 2004. Instead of a knuckle job I guess I'll be taking the third member off for further inspection. Guess I have a decision to make at this juncture. I can make sure all the bolts are in place and tightened to spec and call it good. Or while I have everything torn apart, do you guys think it's worth upgrading the older 3 screw model to the newer clip style seal housing? FWIW, my compressor runs quite frequently while lockers are engaged so I believe there is a leak somewhere in the system. Again, thanks for any direction.
I definitely like the clip style seal housing better, and since it allows more "float" I think the O-rings last longer. (purely my own opinion, no data to support that) You will also get the square-profile O-rings instead of the round section, which is also an upgrade. You'll probably need a different bulkhead fitting kit as well, since the copper air line changes size from then to now.

While the third is out, you can pressure test the whole system to see where the leaks are coming from. Bulkhead fitting is one potential option, seal housing O-rings are another, and the internal piston (ARB calls it the "bonded seal") is the third. And then random weird ones like having the copper line wear through due to vibration or whatever. :p

I think ARB still sells those retainer clips too, if you need replacements.

Started prepping for a knuckle job today. After pulling the drain plug, I found this on the magnet. Any ideas? Bearing cage? I'm hoping one of you guys have ran into this before. Not sure if it matters but diff has an ARB air locker. Thanks for any direction.

View attachment 2673282
Nice catch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom