Front click only in low

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I heard a click when hard lock while wheeling in low but it doesn't do it in AWD normal. Axle service needed? I greased the birfs about 6 months ago.

Birfs would be my first guess. Did you swap sides with them when serviced recently? That will get you some extra wear.

Swap sides? What do you mean? I did repack the hub bearings and put in new seals in the rotors when I put in new rotors. But thats it

Swap sides means you remove the birf axles and disassemble them completely, remove birf from inner axle on both axles and swap the birf joints to the other side

Swap sides means you remove the birf axles and disassemble them completely, remove birf from inner axle on both axles and swap the birf joints to the other side

Ah okay, any word if this has been successful or just delays the inevitable of putting in new ones? :p

I have not done it myself but I think it just delays the inevitable.

Ah okay, any word if this has been successful or just delays the inevitable of putting in new ones? :p
Very common and popular way to stretch your $$$ out. The only cure for this is to stop driving. The wear is inevitable, but it can be delayed with good maintenance and swapping sides will net a lot more miles before replacement is required. 99% of the wear is only on one side of the ball runners in the bell and on the star. Swapping sides will let the parts wear on the opposing sides. John

I swapped mine hopping to eek a little more life out of them and its just as noisy. I would just start saving for replacements and a rebuild kit again.

I swapped mine hopping to eek a little more life out of them and its just as noisy. I would just start saving for replacements and a rebuild kit again.

I only use this on the weekends for some wheeling it's not my DD. Should I use OEM or okay to go aftermarket at a lower price?

Might wanna consider chromoly birfs if its not your dd, and its only a wheeling toy.

Might wanna consider chromoly birfs if its not your dd, and its only a wheeling toy.

Any suggestions on brand? Whats the longevity of Chromoly birfs if you know..

replace

I replaced mine right after they started clicking and they were very worn, it would have been easy to break one wheeling. I would just replace since pulling the front axle apart is a time consuming activity. I upgraded to Longfields. Probably the best bet for a wheeling only rig and cheaper than Toyota.

I upgraded to Longfields. Probably the best bet for a wheeling only rig and cheaper than Toyota.

That's my plan, I use mine daily but Bobby told me they will last 80k miles (Then they are rebuildable for $50 each).

Last edited:
I changed my birfs about 2 years ago for exactly the same reason. They started clicking when I locked the wheel hard in either direction. I could have probably driven them for much longer but I decided that if they were showing enough wear to click that it would be prudent to change them out.

Are Longfields the recommended non OEM birfs or are there more brands out there you guys suggest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom