From Wild to Mild 2011 GX460 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well this has been one hell of a year.

I ended up having a pretty intense custody battle with an ex and had to sell my beloved 1999 100 series.
It was a fun project I never really got to finish it.
00EB8932-C427-4FB1-A9B1-2D181A18C3D6.jpeg
The 100 was more geared towards hardcore wheeling.
35”s
5.29s
3.112:1 t case gears
Full armor
DT headers and custom exhaust

You get the picture.

The 100 now lives on with a new owner that has taken it on more wheeling trips in 3 months than the time I had it.

After we sold it my girlfriend and I realized we needed something bigger for the kids again. She has a 2015 Golf that was just too snug with 3 car seats in the back.

We started looking for something and I came across a 2011 GX460 Premium with 123k miles for $18,500

We immediately booked a test drive and the rest is history.
AA170118-5A6E-402B-9CA5-5F6AAE23DADE.jpeg

This build is going to be a lot more practical. We just want something reliable for overlanding trips and will probably shy away from the more hardcore stuff I used to do.

SUSPENSION:

Bought a set of NIB Dobinsons front coils off a buddy whose GX was totaled before he could install them

Waiting on a quote from Georg at Valley Hybrids for a rear solution. I’m interested in the 2” AirBag Man kits and probably another set of Dobinsons shocks for the rear in the appropriate length.

Really wanting to retain KDSS and keep it simple.

BRAKES:

Full Power Stop drilled and slotted rotor kit is waiting to go on.

INTERIOR:

Weather Tech Matt’s from Amazon (rear mat wasn’t in box so we are waiting on an exchange from the seller)

Will probably order a Pheonix android head unit

WHEELS/TIRES:

Rhino Armory fake military beadlocks in 17” will be ordered soon.

33” in some type of metric flavor will be ordered too. Probably Cooper ST/Maxx or Kendra Klevers

ARMOR:

Sliders?

Leaning towards Coastal for the bumpers but don’t see an assembled option on the site. Are they only kits?

ELECTRICAL:

Multi-terrain Select/Crawl Control install

Dual battery setup of some kind

Smittybilt X20 10k with synthetic rope. Had great luck with these in the past.

GEARS:

Probably 4.56 or 4.88s if we end up towing a camper

I don’t know what happened here but it was basically a repost of my original post and I can’t delete it 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Well we came down with the Coronavirus so things have been put on hold for a minute.

However I did still manage to set a new sales record at work for our portable internet service and after being cooped up inside my lady and I decided to spend my bonus on an RTT.

We will be ordering a condensation mat and are looking into rack mounting options to complete the setup. This is exciting because I’ve never had an RTT and always wanted one.

We both really like the concept of a hard shell because it can be left on year round and offer better protection on the trail.

Bumpers and sliders will probably be coming next. Need to find a company that will do another VP Racing jug holder instead of Jerry can mounts. I find them much easier to use on the trail.

MTS and Crawl Control will also be ordered soon to help keep me out of trouble until I order some larger tires and some 17” wheels.

037727A1-357D-435E-A334-9ADB5162B5DA.jpeg

Welcome to the RTT club!
We love our iKamper original! I agree with your thoughts on having a hard shell RTT.
In fact, we're leaving in a couple of hours to go on our annual church camp-out up in our local mountains. Looking forward to a fun weekend with friends and family!
One thing I do wish is that I had the ability to remove it when not in use. It really kills the MPG and does raise my CG when off camber whilst off roading.
It's not that bad, but if I had the ability (read: an easy latching/clamping system, space to remove it and room to store it off the vehicle) I'd keep it on for short periods of time, example: probably take it off during the winter, long road trips where we won't be camping or going up to our place in So. Lake Tahoe.
One other thing that I may do different which was not an option when we purchased our iKamper, is that they have a smaller one now. I may have opted for the smaller one so I can have my sunroof again and the satellite antenna isn't covered for better reception.
On that note, when you mount your tent, if you use Sirius/XM, try to move the tent forward so your fin antenna in the rear isn't covered.
But other than that, we love and I'd do it all over again. 👍

Well I guess I’ve committed to getting the lift installed soon now.

USAA sent me an email for 30% off of Goodyear tires.

Hopefully AirBag Man gets back to Georg on a quote so I don’t have to switch to coils by the time they arrive.

0BE4D514-2E7D-479A-83B5-F762770310B0.jpeg

Last edited:
Boy, you're pushing the limits with that size!
Be sure to trim the body mounts or you'll rub.
Albeit they will look great!
Also, I just noticed this post: Builds - shadowz MY14 GX460 build thread Post # 16
Same size tires and rims. You may want to read it.

Boy, you're pushing the limits with that size!
Be sure to trim the body mounts or you'll rub.
Albeit they will look great!

I am still not familiar with this platform so I may be getting in over my head.

My main concern is not being able to clear the stock UCAs. I can use spacers but I don’t know what the max width is that will fit. The wheels will be stock for now

I stuffed 315/75R16s under my 100 series without a body lift but it took smashing the pinch weld and heating the fender liners and 1.25”Spidertrax spacers.

Not sure if the GX460 will be as forgiving.

I did the same with my 100 series when I bolted on 35" M/T's, and had to do a 1.75" body lift above and beyond the suspension lift so I could get full compression and extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom