ford shock towers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so I have deided to put the fj60 axles under my fj40 and can't wait untill its done. I have opted to use ford shock towers and a wondering what would be the best shocks to run to achieve the best articulation? I will be running stock fj40 springs with an add a leaf in front and fj55 springs in the rear.

Your set-up is very simialr to mine. If you set the height right, you can run a 14 inch extension shock. I am running Rancho 9012s. If I had it to do over, I would likely run the same Bilstein 5125s I am running in my FJ60.

Any 12-14 inch extension shock will work well in this application. A lot depends on how much $$ you want to spend. The 7100(?) series Billsteins would be my choice if I drove it often and cost were no object.

In the rear, I run a 10 inch extension shock. I tried longer ones, but there was not enough uptravel and I worried about overcompression and shock damage.

Good luck. I think 60 axles under a 40 are the move to make if you want to stay with Toyota axles. I assume this is a spring over application.

The stock towers work too. I don't think you can utilize 14 inches of travel in an fj40 with 35s or larger with a leaf spring suspension. Here is a pic of mine with a spring over. I am using the stock towers and 11 inch travel shocks. This was a pic while I was measuring for shock length. I think I had about 9 inches of travel on the front. Those are 35 inch tires.
DSC_7250.jpg

Thanks for the help, I was hoping to get some more travel out of the front...

Just don't limit up-travel by using shocks too big, I always shake my head at the fools that do this.

The stock towers work too. I don't think you can utilize 14 inches of travel in an fj40 with 35s or larger with a leaf spring suspension. Here is a pic of mine with a spring over. I am using the stock towers and 11 inch travel shocks. This was a pic while I was measuring for shock length. I think I had about 9 inches of travel on the front. Those are 35 inch tires.

You can easily utilize 14" travel shocks with a SOA.

I have two sets of fenders, one that have cancer and will be cut for the trail and a good stock set I am keeping for the future. I intend on running 37's, thanks for the info...ill play around with it.

with leafs? id like to see a pic of that. im running 14" shock with coils and dont use all the travel. i need 12"

Your truck is radius armed... my leaf sprung truck uses all of its shock travel 11"ers as I recall. i could put 14ers on there and use it all but I couldn't care less about articulation.

Im doing the SAME set up on my 40, only using 60 series springs in lieu of the 40 front / 55 rear combo.
I used the ford towers on my FJ62 build and they worked great. The price and availability cant be beat either. I used Doestch tech shocks though. 14 front and 12 in rear IIRC. May look at those again for this build.

Here are some pics of my installation. The pictures show some 14" shocks w/ about 4" of uptravel. There is no way I use all of that down travel and will be going with 12"ers when I upgrade, with these bumps from polyperformance.

Poly Performance Inc.*::*Shock Parts*::*BBCS Shock Parts*::*BBCS Bump Stop - Jeep JK Synergy Suspension Systems, Fox Racing Shox, Beard, CTM, Johnny Joints®, Currie Enterprises, Edelbrock, Total Chaos, Ramsey Winch, Walker Evans, Wilwood, Mastercraft

Wouldnt it be better to have that little bit extra down travel even if its not frequently needed?

Here are some pics of my installation. The pictures show some 14" shocks w/ about 4" of uptravel. There is no way I use all of that down travel and will be going with 12"ers when I upgrade, with these bumps from polyperformance.

What are you basing this statement on?

What are you basing this statement on?

Measurements. The maximum amount of shaft I have measured exposed is 8" :meh: I have nowhere close the offroad or cruiser experience you do, so I have no question you know more than I do. Do you think I can use 10" of droop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom