Force 25 on a Carolina skiff... weird problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A friend of mine has a 16 foot Carolina skiff with a 80's era force 25. The problem this guy is having is; when he tries to get on a plane there is too much cavitation around the motor and the motor stops pissing. Every situation below plane the motor pisses fine. Do you think the design of the skiffs hull screws up the water flow on a force? or is the motor too high? He said the up/down placement of the force was in spec. It does not have mechanical tilt, just a pin and about 5 angles to pick from. There are only two "tilt" pin placements that will work. One makes it take off very slow and it still pisses, and one makes it take off fast and it does not piss. The force is brand new, his dad bought it in the 80's with a boat. Someone stole the boat a month after he got it and he never got another boat. Just put the motor in the garage for 20 something years.

Last edited:
first off, it's a crap motor but you know that. Look at the cavitation plate on the motor, it should be at or just below the bottom of the transom. He may have a short shaft motor and may need a 25" instead, can't tell without pics.

lol... I was wondering if anyone saw this new forum. I asked a local boat guy, he basically said the same thing. Not enough beef in the water. The motor does have a extension block on it. The guy didn't have the motor pushed all the way down onto the transom. The force has what looks like two c-clamps welded together as the motor mount. He had the mount sticking up about an inch over the transom instead of all the way down resting on the transom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom