Fogs: are done. Adding more low-beam brightness...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Sep 14, 2006
Threads
16
Messages
94
Location
Santa Cruz, CA
Hey All - I'm doing some paint work and front-end refresh on the GX we've had since new and plan to never sell (07/ 203k miles). So, new headlights, new grill, yada yada - and new fogs (ours are just fkn sandblasted at this point). Here's the thing: I *never* use the fogs - because we don't get heavy fog. But I DO notice that while the OE bright lights on the headlights work great, the low beams are like driving with sunglasses on (and always have been). So I'd like to add new OE-look fogs but with much bulbs to run in conjunction with the low beams. Anyone find a solution for this that doesn't melt wiring and/or lenses? Close color match would be good (not a fan of of the blue or super-white look - and not looking to give cops a reason for a stop) and again: hoping to use the OE wiring and (new OE) lens/housing if I can...

TIA
 
There are many plug-in LED bults available for the GX on Amazon. I'm personally running Auxito low and high beams, which are about $60 a pair. They are direct plug and play. While they are a big upgrade over the OEM halogen bulbs in the GX, they are not as modern OEM LEDs in a new vehicle (after all they are a LED in a Halogen projector housing). When the Auxitos crap out I'm going to replace them with Diode Dynamics LED bulbs, which are M-USA and around $220 a pair.
 
There are many plug-in LED bults available for the GX on Amazon. I'm personally running Auxito low and high beams, which are about $60 a pair. They are direct plug and play. While they are a big upgrade over the OEM halogen bulbs in the GX, they are not as modern OEM LEDs in a new vehicle (after all they are a LED in a Halogen projector housing). When the Auxitos crap out I'm going to replace them with Diode Dynamics LED bulbs, which are M-USA and around $220 a pair.
Thanks Red! Appreciate the ideas.
 
There are many plug-in LED bults available for the GX on Amazon. I'm personally running Auxito low and high beams, which are about $60 a pair. They are direct plug and play. While they are a big upgrade over the OEM halogen bulbs in the GX, they are not as modern OEM LEDs in a new vehicle (after all they are a LED in a Halogen projector housing). When the Auxitos crap out I'm going to replace them with Diode Dynamics LED bulbs, which are M-USA and around $220 a pair.
+1 for the Diode Dynamic products. pricey but amazing quality. we run them on the race car and have never had an issue.
 
+1 for the Diode Dynamic products. pricey but amazing quality. we run them on the race car and have never had an issue.
They are a Missouri-based company too, which is always nice. I ordered a bunch of pods from them last month and they were delivered the next day!
 
I hear that - but thought it would be more about the bulb power.

Seems like two options: go with a good LED like Diode Dynamics in the original housing, or go with a pod-type solution, which offers more options for fitment, power, light pattern (etc) - but is of course a more-intensive installation both from a mounting/fab standpoint and also a wiring perspective.

Appreciate the responses and if I have that impression correct will start searching for the pod projects here. If I got it wrong or missed something big - please chime in! TIA.
 
I think you'll be disappointed with bulb upgrades, I could not tell the difference meaningfully with legit 100w H3 bulbs.

Depending on the look you want, it's quite simple to wire and bolt in LED pods of some sort. The factory circuit has lots of amperage for LED. I seem to think someone does make shrouds for pods to sit cleanly in the factory spot but I can't think of who right now.
 
I have a set of the DD White Max fog lights (38.5W) on my 80 and they are AMAZING. I run them primarily to cover the forested and ditches on the sides of the road in East TN. They reach out about 20 feet on either side and really bolster the low and high beams on the road. LOVE them. They are pricey.
SS3 White Max LED Pod (one) - https://www.diodedynamics.com/ss3-sae-white-max-led-pod-one.html
I'm considering installing a set on my daughter's new GX 470. @stupidchicken03 I'll welcome that discount!
 
Anyone ever try something like this, seems to be made for the 470 and then you could stick some fancy aftermarket / square pod lights

1789607032135.webp
 
Back
Top Bottom