Fog lights in an ARB (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lockd80

Totally right
Threads
I have seen quite a few posts asking about this and decided to share my experience.

I was looking for a clear fog light that would mount into the turn signal light location in my ARB bumper. I knew that they would be too high for fog use and was only looking for a light that would illuminate wider than my low beams for negotiating in tight places seeing around corners and spotting that deer abut to jump out of the bushes.

After searching for a quality light the right size and not finding any I settled for the Shucks XT850 Xtreme fog light mainly because it is the right size and it had a wide flat fog light pattern.

The result is definately not a fog light. On top of being too high and the bulb being weak, in order to mount the light flush with the bumper the alighnment is extreemly towed out due to the angle of the bumper. But all this works to give me a light that allows me to see about 25 feet at a right angle to the bumper. That means that when driving down a two lane road they light the ditch on both sides at a right angle to the bumper while not annoing the oncomming traffic due to the flat low pattern. I have been running these for about 4 months and never been flashed by oncoming drivers.

In order to mount I just made a 3/4 inch spacer mounted under the top of the bumper with carrage bolts and bolted the light to the spacer. For alighnment I center the light in the hole and pushed it snug up against the ARB turn sighnal mounting tabs after taking out the plastic mounting thingys that the original light screws into.

IMG_2546.jpg

IMG_2542.jpg

IMG_2543.jpg

Looking up from under at the spacer and mounting.
IMG_2552.jpg

From the top looking at the carrage bolts.
IMG_2544.jpg

Hope this helps I am pretty happy with the looks and fuctionality right now but will probably look for some better bulbs in the future.

Mark

Good write up and pictures. They look pretty good and you would be hard pressed to find a light that fits much better than that - I have been looking on and off for a couple months myself. As far as the light output I would be very happy to have some light down and to the sides like that.

An excellent job but, can I make a suggestion? Why not find a lamp you really like and fab the correct size hole in the ARB in a better location? Then you can keep your turn signals and have the illumination you really want, protected by the bumper. - My .02

I never saw the need for the extra turnsignals in the bumper especialy if you do the cornerlight turnsignal mod. As far as moding the bumper I may still do that to accept a larger light in the same location but I always try to first make a mod look as factory as possible and of course cost effective. This mod gave me the extra light I was looking for for a total expenditure of less than $40 and looks as if they belong there.

Point of clarification, I never expect to be able to mount a effective fog light in this bumper it is just too high. A good fog light must be able to illuminate the road without reflecting off the fog between the road and the beam. I had realy good fog lights on my M3 they were less than 6 inches off the ground but the lights on a ARB are going to be a minimum of 2 feet off the ground. Thats 2 feet of fog between the light beam and the road unless you point the light down at wich time you loose projection distance. I have tryed this and never found a fog light that worked better than the low beams when mounted this high.

You are entirely correct, there is no need for turn signals in the bumper since they exist on the body under the headlights. I like the redundancy on both the front and back. You never know when a bulb may burn out, or snow or mud may pile up and block your lamps (I know, it sounds kind of anal). As for fog lights 6" from the ground on an 80......I don't care what bumper is on it, that's going to be a conflict of interest with an off road vehicle. I wouldn't go any lower than the bottom of the bumper. And have a cheap pair, in case they get clobbered. Then your not out too much, 'cause you just know that's going to happen.

<snip> or snow or mud may pile up and block your lamps (I know, it sounds kind of anal)...

Not really. Almost every time I go out I have to run a brush over the front bumper so that the turn signals are visible. Safety first kiddies! :p

As I said my primary goal was more peripheral light. These pics show the results.

First pic is lowbeams only
IMG_2566.jpg

Second pic lowbeams and fog lights.

IMG_2567.jpg

nice addition.

I like the results in beam pattern.

Here's what I did:

FinishedProduct.jpg

I always meant to do a write up, but never got around to it.
FinishedProduct.jpg

Alright Mot, I'll work on a write up. Yes they are halogen projectors - Hella microDE.

Thanks, I'll have to credit Mo for the welding though, I just came up with the ideas.

So, my turn lights are Mot-ified and my bumper is Mo-dified.

I'm gonna have to try that. The light looks good...and so does your house!:hillbilly:

Thanks, ya the house well I am saving up for a j lift 35s and a ARB roof rack.:hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly:

The mortgage guy said it was worth 250,000 though:eek:

The mortgage guy said it was worth 250,000 though:eek:

You can skip the mortgage payments now and just opt for the bailout. Trust me it's much easier than actually living up to your committments (and you'll get those Js and new meat sooner as well;))!:lol:

lockd80,

I installed my replacement fog lights in the same place in my ARB. I had occasion to use them last week in a blinding snow storm on my way home. Great big flakes, at night, extremely poor visibility, lights reflecting back in your face off the snow. The fog lights helped, but not as much as would have liked. I tried them without the head lights, but I think they're mounted too high to be real effective as fog lights. They most certainly helped with illuminating the side of the road, which actually helped me to stay on the road. So, overall I'd have to say they're an improvement. Thanks for the idea! :D

Last edited:
boyd,

would luv to see the write up!!!

:doh:
lockd80,

I installed my replacement fog lights in the same place in my ARB. I had occasion to use them last week in a blinding snow storm on my way home. Great big flakes, at night, extremely poor visibility, lights reflecting back in your face off the snow. The fog lights helped, but not as much as would have liked. I tried them without the head lights, but I think they're mounted too high to be real effective as fog lights. They most certainly helped with illuminating the side of the road, which actually helped me to stay on the road. So, overall I'd have to say they're an improvement. Thanks for the idea! :D

Ya, like I said they suck as fog lights but I found also that they are good at showing where the edge of the road may be in heavy snow. :steer:

Glad they worked, I have not messed with the bulbs yet but I did find that deep water crossings will fill them up with water:doh:.
I am going to silicone them up soon.

Glad they worked, I have not messed with the bulbs yet but I did find that deep water crossings will fill them up with water:doh:.
I am going to silicone them up soon.

You might want to check on that before you seal them up. All aftermarket halogen lights that I've seen came with a vent/airhole. Might be a "ticking timebomb" if you seal up completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom